Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Other Drummers Here??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i've been playing since 2000, and after moving in w/ my current roommate have taken it waaaay more seriously.

any other peeps play? whatcha got? who you freak out when you listen to them?

[​IMG]
    - Gretsch kit w/ Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals

[​IMG]
    - Space Muffins electronic kit w/ DDrum 4SE brain

big vinnieC. fan, and most anything bebop w/ a soft spot for Elvin and Max. these days, big into Nisan Stewart & Marco Minnemann.

2. I play. Not well, but I play. Don't own gear, but the school has some Pearl kits and cymbals. The best kit there is a Pearl Export something; has an awesome tight snare that I love to pieces.

A great drummer I like listening to is Buddy Rich; he could kick it. A friend of mine is a BR nut; listen to the both of them blindfolded and you couldn't tell the difference.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My son sold off his acoustic set and went electronic. I get on them much more often now. :D

-Mike

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I play, casually. Some Yamaha 5-piece with a few Zildjian cymals.

5. I have a pretty no-name kit that I've gotten to sound really excellent with coated heads, and some sabian cymbals and hohner hats... I know it's not too showy, but it sounds great, and goes to tape well enough for my needs. And my kids like to bang around on it.

Someday, I want to get a nice smaller jazz kit that'll have a small footprint, but will sound tremendous. I love the smaller, tighter punchy kick drums.

I love making on-the fly live drum clips to loop...gets gritty and organic, and is sometimes a nice alt to static drum machine parts.

Mon

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I haven't played much bass since joining a band as drummer a couple years ago; used to frequent TB but haven't felt qualified. I miss ze bass.
    having fun drummisting though.

gig with Roland V's primarily, but it's slowly warping into a hybrid kit based around a Tama birch kit triggering the TD20.
    [​IMG]

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm starting my learning experience on my drummer's two set's.
    A-TAMA RockStar Stage & Studio Custom with Starcast mounting. B-80's TAMA ImperialStar set w/ 2 24" kick's. Here is an older overhead pic of the RockStar.

[​IMG]

It's been exhilarating learning from a 20 y/o drummer who has been playing 14 years. His RockStar set just got upgraded with some Paiste Innovations and DW 9002 double pedals with floating hinge. I'm ready to learn! -Luke

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i played for 12 years before switching to bass. i still playa bit, especially now that i'm doing some home recording. i have a pacific kit with various cymbals.

my favourite drummahs: neil peart, carter beauford, karen carpenter (please don't try to "educate" me about hal blaine, i know who played on what song) and the list goes on...

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Yes I've been playing for 25 years. I've got bassitus though bad, no curing it til I get a Sadowsky SA200 & a Dingwall. Til then here's pics of my '88 Tama Granstars all birch. I use to have another matching bassdrum. Sold it & my pocket went to the next level, around '98. I got rid of the splashes & chinas too. A friend of mine, Matt Johnson (Jeff Buckley's drummer) gave me right before a gig a Zildgian 22" rivet china that I keep handy cause it's got so much character. The guitarist @ that gig got pissed @ him because he said it was like giving a kid a BB gun. It's LOUD.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    VS could you please resize that picture so we can see your whole set?

11. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Hey I'm looking for a drummer in CT. Are there any good drummers forums that I should check out.
    Pontz

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I started as a drummer when I was a kid..switched to bass about 4 years ago. I have an old Pearl Export..gets the job done.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I also started out as a drummer and switched to Bass 11 years ago. Still have my drums, and play them from time to time.

Kit is a 8 piece Pearl setup. Two bass drums, three upper toms, two floor toms and a snare. Zildjian 14" 'hats, (2) 16" crashes, 17" crash, 18" rock crash. Paiste 20" ride and color sound (red) 20" china, and a Sabian 10" splash. Speed king pedals, Ludwig hi-hat stand, Yamaha cymbal stands. All pinstripe heads, except black dot on the snare. ProMark 5B sticks.

15. I was forced drummer (don't ask) and never really enjoyed it. I thought I did and bought alot of gear (BIG MISTAKE) I lost alot of money into my drum set which I never got back. I switched to bass a few months ago and love it! This is why I don't like seeing all this kids that have been playing for a month going out and getting the best gear. If you end up not liking bass in a month or two.. your screwed...

16. klamaz

klamaz

Aug 8, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm a drummer as well as bassist, been drumming a good bit longer.

[​IMG]

Thats my kit, Gretsch USA Customs, variety of cymbals.

I'm also a huge Vinnie C fan like threadstarter, as well as a variety of other jazz and funk.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice klamaz!

my USA CUstom kit (20x16, 14x14, 10x8) is literally like the little brother that wishes he could be like the big bro. ;)

18. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Excellent sets everyone! -Luke

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've been playing drums for about 17 years now. Don't have a kit on my own, only some bits (snare drum, bass drum, hi-hat, stands), because I play mostly at church, where there is a permanent setup.

It is very interesting to play both drums and bass; both teach me much about playing the other.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Haha, I saw your kit -- the Bosphorus cymbals and Grestch drums -- and thought "Huh, bop much?" If you're going to have a soft spot for any two drummers, Elvin and Max are two you just can't go wrong with. Those've gotta sound great -- I heard Jean Martin (IIRC, top drummer in Canada) on a (vintage?) Gretsch kit in the summer -- amazing sound.

I'm not a drummer, but I've said for a long time that I'd give up everything I've accomplished on bass to be a good drummer. Nothing quite like it. Closest I come is practice pads and Home Depot buckets in my school's percussion class.