Any other Hanewinckel bass owners here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Hanewinckel Guitars makes killer basses ( don't know why he calls it 'Hanewinckel Guitars' since he doesn't have any at his site ). I'm sure there's someone else out there with one. Got any pics?

I've got pics of mine at:

Their web site is at:

Not too many pictures though. I'll have to get on his case about that. I have seen some high-res pictures of his instruments and his workmanship is up there with any other high-end bass luthier.

- Dave
    john pick likes this.
  2. Hey Dave!!! I don't own one(not yet).But I would like to know...How does yours sound?I'm sure it plays and obviously looks great.I'm real curious.
  3. It sounds fantastic! I don't know how to describe it. I have some audio clips of a different Hanewinckel at . The ones on a Hanewinckel are labeled as such.

Great instruments! I can't wait to get my 7-string fretless. I'll probably get a 7-string Piccolo bass after that. Then perhaps a 9-string. Gotta out-do JT! :D

- Dave
  4. Those are some seriously pretty basses. Yours is looking pretty good as well.

Hmmmmmmmm, a new bass? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Just listened to a couple of your tracks also- DAMN MAN! That is some serious playing. I need to practice now...
  5. ohhhhh, look at all those knobs and switches! haha what do they all do!?!?!
  6. Cool.I can't wait to check out the clips.As far as outdoing JT,have fun.
  7. Knobs from the bottom up:
    High freq
    Mid freq
    Low freq
    Pickup blend
    Switches from the bottom up:
    Mid freq center ( 3-way toggle )
    Phase ( I think )

I mostly keep the EQ flat, blend centered, pickups active and the phase switch at ???.

- Dave
  8. Hey Dave I listened to one of your tracks and was thoroughly impressed with your playing and with the tone of the Hanewinckel.I'll be going back to your page to listen to some more of your Bach compositions.
  9. Thanks! I'm not all that happy with those recordings so I generally don't promote them. It was my first attempt at recording them and I realized I needed a lot more practice to get them down the way I want. Mostly, my timing is not great on those. It's like trying to play Twister and tap-dance at the same time. :)

- Dave
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Dave.:)

I also listened to the recordings and just let me say that you sound very good.

What I am curious about is the tone you got out of the Ibanez 6. I also have a 506 and have a problem with the strings going dead very quickly, and generally am not real pleased with the overall tone of the bass.

Your's sounds phenomenal! Is it stock, or have you replaced the pickups and preamp? If so, what did you replace them with? And what kind of strings did you use for the recordings?
  11. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

don't have a hane, but that warp touch guitar is incredible!!!
  12. Thanks! I appreciate it.

Are you sure you're talking about the Ibanez recordings? Most of them are on the Hanewinckel 6-string. The Ibanez was processed through a chorus and reverb in order to get it to sound decent. The Hanewinckel is straight.

I'm sure you're thinking about the Hanewinckel. Check the page again ( ). The ones with the Hanewinckel are labeled.

The pickups and preamp are by Bartolini. I don't know what kind of strings were on it. Pete Hanewinckel lent me his personal bass for the recordings. It's the bass in the picture at the top of the page and in the banner:

On the Ibanez, I was using D'Addario XL6's. It was a stock instrument. Got it for like $500. Traded in for like $350 towards my Warwick which I just sold.

- Dave
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave, I was indeed talking about the tracks that were labelled Ibanez.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong to give up on the Ibanez for a different 6. It is currently for sale.

Can't afford a Hanewinckel:), but I am looking for a used Peavey Cirrus 6.
  14. You know what, I bet it was the SansAmp Bass DI that is the difference between our instruments. Have you tried one out? Or any high-end amps that have a good mid-pre-shape or enhancer circuit?

Here's an unprocessed version of the Sarabande from the 2nd Partita for Solo Violin:

It does have a nice sound. The SansAmp really helps though.

- Dave
  15. I thought you did fine.When I get more time I will check out some more of your material.Ireally love that tone!!!
  16. john pick

john pick

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah Dave I have been a grateful Hannewinkel owner since 1994.
  17. john pick

john pick

Aug 12, 2014
    I traded a Roscoe 5 and never regretted it. Hard times came in 2008 and I was down to two Botique Custom Basses my Buckeye Fodera Emperor 5 and my Hannewinkel. Tough decision?
    I chose the Hannewinkel...I mean the Emperor was awesome but the Hannewinkel is the ticket !!''