Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any other hip hop bassists out there??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Basonsubatomia, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    A bit about my situation which prompted me to ask this...

I've been into hip hop as a music to listen to for a good few years now, and I have a definite funk/groove style to my bass playing. At the start of this year, a drummer I used to play with called me up after he saw an ad for two MCs wanting a funk/groove driven rhythm section... well, a different drummer and many other things along the way, I'm now part of an 8-piece band; bass guitar (me, natch), keys, hand percussion, drums, 3 MCs and one dj... we do a groove and funk based style of hip hop, but we're able to have a great diversity in our sound due to the manpower. I have been having a blast in this band and we're getting a lot of positive response from people who've seen us the past two months we've been gigging now.

So any other bassists out there that do the hip hop scene? I'm really curious, cause I haven't heard of too many live hip hop bands (the Roots, Bullfrog Band, Warsaw Pack off the top of my head)... it's great fun though.

-Jason

PS: I sometimes get called J-Low in the band... they think it's funny... I guess it's because of my resemblance to Jennifer Lopez?? (I in NO WAY resemble her, btw)

2. I've been thinking about starting a project with a drummer and a rapper. I think it would be interesting, since the hip hop scene has only just taken off here in Iceland and all the groups already estabelished have DJ's instead of musicians.

But so far, no I'm not a hip hop bassist.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm not, but Ozomatli has a pretty solid hip-hop/latin bassist. I saw them live at a record store and confirmed the dude can REALLY play. Check them out.

4. no doubt that will-dog is an excellent player. if you listen to his lines, he's really in the pocket and very minimalist in his playing. then again, that's what this style of music calls for. it's what you do with the notes you choose, NOT how many notes you play.

i'm in the process of putting a band together in the philly area right now. there's madd talent there, just gotta find a drummer that wants to do something besides rock. that's the tough part. we'll be a three piece to start. gave up trying to find a kb player.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love hip hop, I'm not particularly a hip hop bassist though.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My roomate and I were having a dorm room jam and I was funkin' it up as usual, and these two thug guys walk in and hand me a CD.

[Thug Voice On]
    "This is a record label, they looking for bassists n' stuff."
    [/Thug Voice Off]

Then they just walk off. I wanted more info, but it was too late, so unfortunatly I never became a hip hop bassist, or I'd help you out. :D

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup, i've done more than a few sideman gigs for MC's and what not, bon pantalon has a bit of hiphop thrown in the mix, and i'm in an instrumental hip-hop/beats improv trio as well (THAT'S a fun band!). i think that group is going to get an MC/singer and start kicking some ass.

even though they don't have a bassist in the true sense of the word - anyone who loves live hip hop should check out Youngblood brass band

8. Basonsubatomia

Basonsubatomia

Nov 8, 2002
    Yeah, that's the same thing here, in Victoria... there's.... one (gigging, at least) other group that does rapping over live music and they do something a great deal more jazz-oriented than we do... although their MC, Kia Kiadri, is amazing... that girl can rap like no one's business.

9. the closest thing to hip hop i've played was playing in my brothers talent show when his best friend the bassist got suspended and they needed a bassist who knew the stuff. so i ended up playing busta rhymes and biggie and stuff, it was o.k., way too boring basslines for me. occasionaly you get the cool funk pop riff, but man, i'll stick to ska.
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    yeah I've played bass for a few Hip-Hop bands....fun gigs...definitely a different (and usually bigger) crowd than the Jazz gigs I'm used to

11. I do freestyling with a few friends once in a while...never a gig though, mostly parties. I will say it is VERY fun