Any other left handed players playing rh slap bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by *SlApFuNk*, Mar 15, 2005.

1. *SlApFuNk*

Mar 15, 2005
    I was at that point where there is arguably nothing else I can learn in the realm of non-slap. So I am beginning to learn slap and as easy as everyone tells me it should be, I'm finding it fairly difficult.

I was wondering if there are any other lh players with rh basses that can refer me to wherever you learned to play slap.

2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm a lefty playing right handed and I can't get a good grasp on slapping yet either.

I would have liked to learn lefty but it isn't affordable enough to get a decent lefty bass.

The scary part is in one of my bands, all of us are leftys and only one of us actually plays lefty :)
  3. 2 things in MHO

one, your name is slapfunk and you cant slap, hehe i just find it funny, no offence

two, there is no way you know everything there is to know about everything nonslap there is so much to bass playing and music theory

but on second hand i cant slap either so i guess i shouldnt talk :ninja:
  4. spidjod

Dec 21, 2004
    Im a lefty playing right, when I was tought how to slap it took me about 20 minutes to even be able to get a sound out of the strings, but after a few months of practice it was plain sailing from there.
    It is doable, trust me.
    Personally i thing being a lefty playing right hand is a huge advantage, as you have so much dexterity in your fretting hand from the start, so all you have to worry about is your fingerstyle technique and conversely you can get playing stuff far quicker.
    Just my 2c
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is your left hand the 'plucking hand'...on a bass that's strung for a right hander?
    If so, I can see the difficulty, although-
    You have Jimmy Haslip & Keith Horne to look to. Both, IMO, are/can be monster slappers...and it's the damnest thing to actually see!

On the other hand, if you're fretting with your left's like what SpidJod said-
    Use it to your advantage; you should already have a certain degree of dexterity built up in your fretting hand.
    The caveat, though-
    Most string players' 'fretting hand' is stronger than the actual 'plucking hand'.

Mike Dimin had an 'exercise' that seems to work: Get a drum stick, lay it into your Thumping hand's palm, use the middle & ring fingers to grasp it...get into thumping position & go back & forth. Helps develope a degree of muscle memory. Good 'practice' in front of the tube, too. ;)