Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any other options beside a Gotoh 201 bridge???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Apr 7, 2003.

1. any other options beside a Gotoh 201 bridge???

want to replace the bridge on my jazz bass as i am sick of saddles moving around (crap design me thinks) so was thinking about the Gotoh as it doesn't require drilling. any others i could look at that don't require drilling? thanks

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    badass might not require drilling..

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Mike,
    As long as the bridge body covers the old holes I wouldn't worry about having to drill new holes. The HipShot Type A bridge is great! Side to side string spacing adjustment, individual saddle channels, and top load. :cool:

4. I would say Leo Quan Badass II, or maybe a Smith IV. Either of these should work with your stock Fender holes. Wilkerson may be another option as well, however with the older models they had sharp edges, so caution was advised. Best of luck.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    smith IV is nice. I have t osecond the hipshot "A" bridge.

I used to put badass II's on my Fenders but always had to file the saddles. Not a reall hassle but why bother if you do not have to ?

6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Is it an MIM? I've heard that the Gotoh201 won't work on MIM because it's too thick and you can't get the action low enough. I'm pretty sure the same is true of a BadAss if you don't file some fairly deep grooves in the bridge saddles (which you're sorta supposed to do anyway). I talked to the guy at Hipshot and he told me that the new 4-string bent-plate vintage-style bridge they're making (they haven't been officially released, but they will sell you one directly) will work great and screw right on the same holes. The bent-plate is kinda like a regular, but is made out of heavy brass and has an extra bend in the plate to cover the ball-ends. I'm probably going to gets me one for my MIM P-bass so, I'll keep you posted.