1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any other pen turners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neurotictim, Mar 21, 2009.

1. So I started on a quest to acquire woodworking skills that would serve me in building a bass, and stumbled upon wood turning - great for geetting used to the different properties of different types of wood, for doing tight tolerance wrk, and general woodworking skills.

Anyone else out there do this? Here are my first successful attempts...

Made this set for my girlfriend's dad as a birthday present - black and white ebony, one black ink, one blue ink, and one letter opener.

SDC10163-1.

Made this one just for me. :D Some sort of burl - Woodcraft had it labeled simply as "Australian Burl".

SDC10176.

*EDIT* I need to take a better picture of the burl... later.

2. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I'm a turnner but sometimes do pens. need a mandrel first though.

3. Nope. But rumor has it there's a John Turner 'round these parts. :ninja:

4. i_see_what_you_did_there.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

My nephew did that for a little while. My brother (his dad) has a real nice shop. I think everyone in the family has a custom pen now. He has since stopped making them but it was pretty cool.

6. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I turn pens,
    it's a lot of fun and very relaxing.

7. Wow Tim...you're quite the talent! Keep at it, you'll make some great pens (not that you haven't already) ;)

-Sean

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cool, it's something I've been wanting to try, before I make a matching set of snakewood pens cut from the same wood as the binding on my custom acoustic.

Sounds like a good time.

9. My dad is quite a turner, never done pens, he makes bowls and stuff. I have tried it a few times, I don't really have the patience for it. Although I might now, that was several years ago.

lowsound

10. Haven't done that in about 10 years, but I remember liking it.

11. So... I officially HATE acrylic. Hard to work, melty, and just not as good-looking as natural wood.

That being said, I made one for my bestest friend.

SDC10212-1.

12. Then I decided to start playing with veneer and CA. Let's just say that I figured out how much was too much, and found it to be much more satisfying.

This one's for me. Birdseye maple, Austrailian burl of some sort, and white and black veneers.

SDC10250-1.

And a close-up.

SDC10276-1.

13. Got a little silly with the CA and veneers, decided to see what some dark cocobolo and burl and birds-eye would look like... with red and yellow veneers... Not so hot, IMO. Also played with tapering a little bit.

SDC10271-1.

And the close-up.

SDC10275-1.

This hobby is quite addicting... Wait till you guys see what I'm gluing up for tomorrow... :D

(Hint, hint: Spalted poplar with diagonal red, white, and blue veneer, and South American mahogany with black veneers.)

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    looks great

15. I haven't exactly been idle these last few days... Got some pens on commission, no less! :D

So here are a ton of pics for my fans... Both of them. :D :D :D

Purpleheart and Wenge w/ satin gold hardware... Looks great in person.
    SDC10301-1.

South American Mahogany w/black veneers...
    SDC10311-1.

Unidentified wood. Got it in a grab bag without names, so if anyone has a guess, it's really great wood.
    SDC10318-1.

Snakewood. This stuff looks so much more awesomer in person, and is such a hard wood to work, that this one has been the most gratifying so far.
    SDC10309-1.

First successful wenge pen. The copper hardware looks awesome with it, and I've got a gold hardware version in work.
    SDC10330-1.

Zebrawood, dyed orange. Note the profile - I've been working on varying those up a bit.
    SDC10332-1.

Austrailian Burl, dyed blue. Really interesting how this worked out.
    SDC10339-1.

I had my doubts about it, but went for it to see what would happen... The resulting pen is VERY interesting to look at, will be an awesome conversation piece.
    SDC10344.
    SDC10345.

Finally, the latest pen... Flame maple, dyed blue, with satin white hardware. I'm still learning the ins and outs of dying, but I feel like I'm making progress...
    SDC10367-1.

16. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I am in love with the snakewood pen! I think I like the profile of the wenge one most though. I can't wait to see what you come up with for mine.

17. Can you make me one of these, only as a fountain pen? Blue and everything.

lowsound

18. Nice work! I bought a lathe with the intention of getting into turning pens, but haven't yet made any.

19. I'll go ahead and add a snakewood pen to the ones I'm sending you, then. ;)

I haven't messed with fountain pens (yet), but if I can successfully make one, I'll PM you.

20. Sweet. I have been wanting a fountain pen for a while and that pen just looks sweet. If you do make one, I don't can what the profile it, have fun with that.

lowsound