1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any other pen turners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neurotictim, Mar 21, 2009.

1. And I still manage to have a life! :ninja:

Still working on perfecting the dying technique, but this turned out so well by accident that I may do a few more...

SDC10408-1. SDC10393-1.

SDC10413. SDC10414.

And this one is zebrawood with black titanium hardware for Jared of JC Basses... The black isn't really all that evident.

SDC10392-1.

SDC10378-1.

Got blanks glued up that should turn some interesting pens, including a pair inspired by the limited edition Roscoe for sale in the classifieds... one maple, yellowheart, and wenge, and one maple, purpleheart, and wenge.

2. I changed my mind on what I want. A fountain pen like this.

lowsound

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    i made a wicked amboyna burl pen, but unfortunatly, my (mother) or the devil, if you must be so bold. left it with in jumping reach of the dog. she seemed to find it quite tasty...

4. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Nice work!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Holy schnikes....those are some kicking pens. You guys have some serious skills. I am a total pen freak. How do I get one made for me? What kind of $$$ are we talking here?

-Mike

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I want one in cocobolo!!

7. PMs sent to both of you.

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Reply sent.....I'm getting me some pens!!!! :hyper:

This is bad though, real bad. Pens and shoes are two things I have more than enough of, and now I found out about these guys who make pens.

-Mike

9. Now all you need is a cobbler.
    Or a link to converseone.com where you could build your own shoes.

10. Had to wait a while for some more hardware and such that I ordered to come in, so I worked on my dyes.

This first one, though, was inspired by the Roscoe LTD in the classifieds.

SDC10436-1.

This is a matched set of figured Asian Satinwood for a firefighter friend and his wife... They wanted the "flames" to go in opposite directions, it's not a lack of attention to detail.

SDC10448-1.
    SDC10468-1.

11. So did that new hardware you got in, include stuff for fountain pens? Nice work, BTW.

lowsound

12. Not yet, but I'm expecting it this week...

This ought to give you an idea of what the fountain pen will look like, though, I just did this one for me.

SDC10541-1.

It's a screw-cap, my first successful one.

SDC10538-1.

And these three were comissioned by Jared C. of JCBasses, thus the backdrop (since I had it) :D

SDC10532-1.

This is my setup, all in the garage, to answer a few questions.
    SDC10415.

13. Nice work man, once you get the stuff in, PM me with the costs and whatnot. Have you ever thought of doing one in soap stone?

lowsound

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll be ordering mine this week. I'm excited.

-Mike

15. First bocote pen is done, with a bocote fountain pen to happen tomorrow (so I get the hang of them before attempting anything with the burl). First pen to get a serial number, as suggested by the better half.

SDC10566-1.
    SDC10569-1.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I keep thinking that the title of this thread is 'Any other john turners out there?'

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All that work for ball points. Seems like a shame. I'm a fountain pen guy.

18. Jaco only needed... Oh... wait... :D

You can't blame the auto industry if the market for standard transmissions is only 10% of the car-buying public...

Unlike the auto industry, though, I have more flexibility...

Bocote fountain pen. Still have an issue to work out with the tailpiece, but the shaping is rather nice.

SDC10593-1.
    SDC10603-1.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks nice - questions: (1) can you post the cap on your designs? (2) What fountain tip are you using? Looks kind of like my Waterman. (3) PM me cost. (4) The fountain design comes with a refillable inkwell / reservoir?

20. PM'd. :D