1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any other pen turners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neurotictim, Mar 21, 2009.

1. All because of my nagging. Wanna PM me those details as well?

lowsound

2. PM to you as well, sir. :D

I might add that the previous experiences I've had with fountain pens haven't been exactly stellar, but this bocote one writes very nicely, not so much with the scratching, and the ink flows quite smoothly.

3. So yeah, I've been kept pretty busy, but these are the latest creations...

Bees-wing narra/bocote, purpleheart/bocote, and ebony/yellowheart.
    SDC10790.

Matching "his and hers" "Heart" pens - purpleheart/yellowheart/redheart
    SDC10767.

Girlfriend's "rainbow pen" - 12 different types of wood.
    SDC10786.

Quilted maple dyed red (used blue as suggested to highlight the figure)
    SDC10639.

Walnut/yellowheart/wenge
    SDC10645-1.

Walnut/rosewood
    SDC10651.

Australian burl fountain pen dyed blue for Justin
    SDC10690.

Zebrawood/wenge "Scarf" pen
    SDC10695.

Wenge/quilted maple blocks dyed green.
    SDC10711.

Maple w/bocote blocks
    SDC10713.

Maple/wenge "dots" and stripe, dyed blue.
    SDC10733.

Off-center drilling made this one a costly mistake...
    SDC10738.

4. Oh yeah, I started making knobs, too...

Rosewood/bubinga, stacked knobs. (Haven't quite gotten the lower knobs done yet)

SDC10748.

Need some final oiling/polishing...

5. Can't wait for mine to get here.

lowsound

6. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Mmm! ;)

7. Group shot! A few of these are for customers, waiting on either payment or for me to make the matches... Most are just me being creative...

SDC10863.

8. I was wondering where you have been - nice. Need to do a Series in Half Rosewood and Maple on top with Vintage Fender colors on the Bottom. I'll Take a CAR with Rosewood - you can divid the top and bottom with a ring of the standard pickguard color. Oly White, Rosewood and Tort too : )

9. PM me or hit up the website and we'll work something out. :D

On the latest front, I just finalized a contract for custom laser engraving. :hyper:

10. Got mine today, looks great. Gotta go buy some ink for it to test it out.

lowsound

11. Not quite what you had in mind, but this first pair is more for "proof of concept" than anything. Several failed attempts led to these:

The "fretless" model:
    SDC10981-1.

The "fretted" model:
    SDC10982-1.

SDC10984-1.

Still got some work to do to fine-tune the process, but it's getting better. :D :hyper: These are going to cost an arm and a leg when I get good at them.

12. Just a quick update - rather than bogging down the server here with pictures of pens, I've got gallerys on my own website, and a store on Etsy.

PM me if you're interested in having something made, or if you're local and you wanna try your hand at it.

13. I'm just getting into pen turning.
    You guys all have some very cool pens, but I'm just starting off simple. I'm using slimline kits because they are inexpensive, and they look nice.

My first pen, Bocote:
    5402235342_948cde4374_b.

Pen #2, Purpleheart:
    5402319235_cf6382b6c9_b.

Pen #5, Grey Asian Satinwood:
    5416077045_d98bcb4b7b_b.
    I'm on the fence about the gold hardware, but it's all I had when I made the pen. I'm going to make another one with gunmetal hardware.

Pens 6 and 7, Bloodwood with gunmetal hardware and Amber Asian Satinwood with chrome hardware:
    5431102687_634ae1b477_b.
    These two are my favorites so far.

A shot of my first nine pens, minus #3, which I sold to a friend.
    From left to right- Bocote, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, Grey Asian Satinwood, Bloodwood, Amber Asian Satinwood, Padouk and Spanish Cedar.
    5434109345_956a3d005d_b.

Here is a shot of the woods I have planned for my next 8 pens. I just love how colorful they look together. :hyper:
    5443044246_b17365c2d1_b.
    From left to right, they are- Kingwood, Bocote, Goncalo Alves, (These three will get gold hardware.) Bloodwood, Grey Asian Satinwood, (These two will get gunmetal hardware.) Canary, Thinwin (These two will get black hardware.) and Amber Asian Satinwood (Which will get Chrome hardware.)

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

BTW, if anyone wants to buy one of my pens, shoot me a PM, they are all for sale, and I won't charge much.

14. I used to do woodworking in shop class and I loved it. I always wanted to get into it more but never have done anything with it. You've got some great skills their.

15. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    That looks like those blue moon Ibanezes.

16. Is this thread dead?:bawl:

Here is my latest. (Kingwood with gold hardware.)
    5453660791_4b58ab29a6_b.