Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any other Porcupine Tree fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kris pung, May 1, 2005.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    A friend on mine recently turned me onto this guys. Great band and I'm surprised I've never heard of them before. So are there any other PT fans out there?

-peace
    Kris

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have their best off (the one with the burning piano falling from the sky), and I like the early work on the first disk alot! The later work didn't really do much to me..Nevertheless; excellent band!

3. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'll have to get that. I'm really digging In Absentina and their new one Deadwing. I also heard Stupid Dream is good but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

4. I have In Absentia and just purchase Deadwing, which I should be receiving sometime next week. I will also be seeing them in concert on the 5th of June and I'm quite psyched about it. :smug:

5. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Big fan here...I have all of their stuff and they are one of those few bands (like King Crimson) that have no bad or cheesy releases. The new one, Deadwing, is a killer...go get it now!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yes.

7. Most definitely

8. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I have all of "their" albums. They have evolved through being a Pink Floyd clone, through poppy songs to quite heavy material. PT originally started as a studio project by Steve Wilson and over the years he has added more muscians to form more of a permanent band. He just got a new drummer who is much more agressive and modern sounding than the old one, a change that has had a major impact on the sound of the band.

The bass player has been with them for years and plays a fretless Wal bass. His intonation is perfect and he has that classic Wal sound. I have always found his basslines to be remarkably uninispiring, however. Perhaps this is because Steve Wilson writes them and he plays them :)

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I actually love the bass playing on In Absentia, regardless of who wrote the bassline. They more often than not play a counterpart off the guitar.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yep, I'm a big fan of their last three albums. I've heard from some buddies that heard the new album a while back that it wasn't quite as good as their past three, but I really dig their newer stuff in general, so I'm sure to buy it. I really dig Colin Edwin's style.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually my favorite thing about In Absentia is the drumming. That guy really is a perfect drummer.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have In Absentia and it is a solid album. I keep meaning to dig a little deeper into their catalog.

On a tangent, I can't imagine the lead singer being great friends with Micheal Akerfeldt from Opeth. Their music is just so different.

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Not really...the last Opeth album sounded pretty much like a Porcupine Tree album. I'm pretty sure the singer actually produced the last Opeth album as well. The band in general oddly enough is down with some pretty heavy bands like Dillenger Escape Plan, Tool, Meshuggah, and Opeth to name a few.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I still don't have the newest Opeth album so I had no idea. :D

I guess it just goes to show that a great band listens to everything and not just peers in their genre.

15. yepp.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I first heard Porcupine Tree five years ago. A couple of their tunes from "Signify" were in heavy rotation on the progressive rock channel of an Internet radio station (Netradio.com - since defunct) to which I used to listen...

Finally saw them in June 2002 at the Bowery Ballroom here in New York. I loved 'em! And I began to really get to know PT for the first time...

Their material had a very familiar vibe to it - it was astonishing that someone else hadn't already written it a long time ago, kind of like the best Beatles tunes - but was nevertheless fresh & original. I've since delved somewhat into their back catalog. They've become a major inspiration in my own music...

I agree that their drummer - Gavin Harrison - is first-rate: very precise, plays with a lot of confidence, great groove. He really holds that band together - and makes it look easy...

MM

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, Steve Wilson really turned the last Opeth album into a PT album. He added a lot of Keys to everything.. it makes for some very powerful music though. I love his approach, it can be so subtle at times just to make everything feel great. THIS is what I like about keys... sorry Rick Wakemen.

18. I :heart: in Absentia... have yet to buy blackwing.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I like the band, but they really need to change that name.

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This is even more true with Opeth. Mikael is a huge fan of progressive and folk music from the 60s through and 80s. Porcupine Tree is one of the few newer bands he listens to, and his friendship with Steve is based on their shared love for styles labeled "uncool" by the contemporary music fans for a long time.