1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any other Porcupine Tree fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kris pung, May 1, 2005.

1. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    love the band to death. Went to their concert a few weeks ago and the perfect sound just blew me away.
    I was standing right in front of colin (who played with a stingray instead of a wal) and he ist just such a rock-solid bassist its freaky. He plays so well with the drummer and do find his lines to be interesting (The bassline on Halo is actually pretty groovy)

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I would disagree about this. They aren't "guitar player" basslines. Instead, they are these minimalistic no-frills, pocket-oriented, groove-oriented basslines. Wich I find myself loving, with his subtly overdriven, FAT FAT tone, sounds awesome.

For example, Wedding Nails. Bass line could be all over the place like the guitar line, but instead lays this solid foundation, with big emphasis on the silence/stops. Love it!

("In Absentia" is my walking record lately... listen to 30 minutes of random Porcupine Tree every morning while walking to work)

3. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    I also find that Colin uses really efficient Stops and plays really articulated and rythmic and god he plays tight. Hes great

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The bass lines on the Stupid Dream album were pretty impressive. If you ahven't heard this album yet I'd advise to get it. Very good bass work.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I dig 'em. I haven't heard the very early stuff, but I have the Signify, In Absentia, and Deadwing CDs and I love 'em.

The very first PT song I heard was the instrumental "Idiot Prayer" from Signify. As soon as I heard that tune, I knew they would be a band I would enjoy.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I hate to break it to you, but "Bad Brains" isn't exactly an intellegent band name.

7. Great band... although for my taste I prefer Opeth... also check out Richard Barbieri's past band, Japan and Rain Tree Crow.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Great, great band. In Absentia is one of my favorite albums, though Lightbulb Sun is great too. My five favorite PT cuts - Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled, Trains, Blackest Eyes, Shesmovedon, and Feel So Low.

9. I love PT. Deadwing and In Absentia are great albums, everyone should have them.
    A friend of mine described their music really really good for me when I was first starting to listen to them. He said they're sort of like a heavier, more "modern" form of Pink Floyd. I think that description fits pretty good.

10. I pretty much agree...Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, and Deadwing are unbelievable albums. They're a great band that keeps getting better!

11. vyvyn mtl

vyvyn mtl

Dec 26, 2005
    I found out about them because Steven Wilson produced the last four Opeth albums. I saw them live with Opeth when In Absentia came out. They are an incredible live band!

12. I have never heard them, but i will try out their music if it is free. I understand it is progish?

13. Signify is my favorite album

14. mmm, I don't have it i gotta check it out...

15. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    Porcupine Tree is my favorite band right now. I recommend finding their DVD "arriving somewhere..." It's absolutely amazing. Their like some kind of cross between the psychodelic, science-fictiony feel of Pink Floyd, the heavyness of Tool, and the counterpoints and virtuosity of Rush. They just have everything I've ever wanted to hear from a band. Checkout the killer bassline in the middle of "don't hate me" from Stupid Dream... sick.

16. I have recently been turned onto Porcupine Tree and I have to say I think the music is great. They do strike me as being a modern Pink Floyd. The basslines are quite simple and nothing flashy but they don't follow the guitar,but despite this still fit really well. If you can do that as a bassist you don't need to do anything flashy. :)

17. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I love these guys. In Absentia is a good album to start with for anyone looking to get into them.

I also love the bass playing on all their works. A good look is the bass line in "Trains" is so subtle and yet so perfect for the song. It's got stops in all the right places and some light fills where they should be. It's not flashy but it fits and give the song the drama it needs.

18. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I only have "The sky moves sideways", me gotsta check out some more of their albums...

19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In Absentia is in my truck stereo right now.

They rock. The world need more...much more ... music like this.

20. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Great Band, Saw them live last year. Steven Wilson looks like he is 15, he's a great singer/Guitarist/Songwriter!