1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any other Porcupine Tree fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kris pung, May 1, 2005.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I keep hearing about this band...I might have to pick up "In Absentia" some time!

2. In Absentia is great. Has anyone else heard Voyage 34? Thats one of my favourite late night headphone listening CDs. What else of the early stuff is good?

3. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    If you don't have the "Arriving Somewhere..." DVD, do not walk, run to buy it or borrow/steal it from a friend who does have it. It's mostly material from "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" but has 2 songs from "Stupid Dream", "Hatesong" from Lightbulb Sun and a couple from the "In Absentia" sessions that never made it to the original disc. Colin plays a Stealth Bongo 4HH though a Tech21 Landmark 300 amp and it sounds huge! I want a Bongo now!

I've got Voyage 34. VERY Floyd-esque!! Cool music!

4. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Chris, if you like Rush, Floyd, and Radiohead, you need to RUN to the nearest store and get yourself In Absentia and Deadwing.

Arriving Somewhere... may be the best song I've heard in 5 years (I'd say 10, but Earthshine and Secret Touch are <10 years old...:D )

5. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Great band

6. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    I saw them in NY in October. Steven Wilson explained that the first set was to be all new material. And that they would be recording it in the studio when they got back to London after the tour. They say the new album should be coming out sometime this coming spring. It was amazing, I can't wait. I also can't wait to order a stealth bongo bass 4HH I had never heard or seen one till I saw the Arriving Somewhere DVD. I must have one.. hopefully they have the stealth option for leftys like me. Also, for the guy who said he only had The Sky Moves Sideways and is gonna check out some of there other stuff,... be prepared to find that the music gets more song writing oriented and less spacey and Floyd like... the influence is still there, but there is much more structure in there new material and in most cases the newer stuff is much much much heavier. Such a progressive sound, there is nothing like them.

7. I think I read that supposedly Porcupine Tree was started as a joke--they were trying to make a fake, totally over-the-top stereotypical prog rock band. Then they realized it was actually really good, so kept going. Can anybody confirm that story?

8. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
  9. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    the Tree are an unbelieavably good band :) prog-pop I like to call them haha, with some hard rock/metal riffs thrown in for good measure. Can't wait for their new album, they played a good few songs off it when I saw them in london last summer :) Steve Wilson is a genius, and the rest of the lads arnt half bad either!

10. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    oh, and when I saw them as far as I could tell the bassist had an EBS rig, an 8x10 or 2 4x10s couldnt tell. And he was using a Warwick. Anyone know what he recorded In absentia and Deadwing with? many times I hear Wal but my ears play way too many tricks on me....

11. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Bass player was playing a stingray live when i saw them in late 2005.

12. sjleland

sjleland

Nov 12, 2005
    I found out aout Porcupine Tree because I was in the music store and the In Absentia cover caught my eye. I went home, listened to a little of them, and now they're one of my favorite bands. :D

13. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I picked up deadwing and outside of the first track I felt it was pretty cheesy and far too preachy for my tastes. But to each his own.

14. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    A new album by Porcupine Tree will be coming out mid April called Fear of a Blank Planet. :hyper: :bassist:

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Deadwing is in my car CD player right now and In Absentia is also in my car. I bought those two a few months ago and really like both. I'll have to take some of the suggestions from this thread and try another one or two.

They were here over the Columbus Day weekend in October. I really wanted to go but I knew my son had an out of town soccer tournament that weekend so I had to pass. I hope they come around again soon.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    tough call... They all seem to have strengths and weaknesses.

"Metananoia" has some of my favorite instrumental jams which were mostly recorded during the "Signify" sessions which was the first disc as a full band... and a good starting place for more.
    "Stupid Dream" follows "Signify" nicely and has one of my favorite tracks.... "Slave Called Shiver".
    "Lightbulb Sun"... is a little more radio friendly but has some killer stuff.

there is always "Warszawa" which is a great live sampler of the earlier stuff.

"In Absentia" does seem like a new beginning with a familiar flavor when compared to the earlier stuff.

Keep in mind I'm new to the band... but went out and got everything. I really dig them.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've just gotten into them and in a HUGE(!!!!) way! I had posted a couple of years back that i had heard a bootleg show of theirs which turned me off to them and i hadn't given them any thought until our keyboard player handed me "In Absentia" about 3 weeks ago. Needless to say, I am hooked, big time!

I now own the following CDs:
    In Absentia
    Deadwing
    Signify
    Stupid Dream (GREAT bass lines on this one!)
    Metanoia
    Warszawa (really good live one)
    Lightbulb Sun (just ordered it)

Yeah, I'm hooked. I've been listening to Warszawa and Stupid Dream at work today.

I dig their bassist. Again, if you want to hear some cool lines by him, pick up Stupid Dream.

18. I think Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are the next two worth checking out.

I think the band has a more focussed sound now than they did back then. They were sort of all over the place having some good songs and some weird ones, but now, I think they've settled in on their sound. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are more along the lines of In Absentia and Deadwing.

19. leftybassist

leftybassist

Nov 30, 2006
    That is correct about the EBS rig, accept for the warwick part... that was spector XL you saw... its a long scale euro spector which he tunes down to C,F,Bb,Eb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he used it to record the new album. On all of the previous albums he used Wal basses, fretted and fretless. For a while he was using a MM stringray and then a MM stealth bongo for the live shows. His rig used to be Landmark Tech 21 300 thru some form of 2 4X10s but now its all EBS.

20. Each of those are good, and many consider Stupid Dream to be the best of the lot. My personal favorite is In Absentia. I also have an earlier one called Signify. Not quite in the same class, but still interesting.