Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any other skydivers here on T.B.?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kratekyle, Apr 10, 2005.

1. I just saw the mtb thread down below and it gave me the idea for this. Although I am new to bass, I have been living on dropzones full time since '01 and work as a parachute packer (I also run the internet cafe on the DZ here in Arizona). On days when I'm not too busy, I have time between my pack jobs to walk over to the cafe and spend some time in here. The skydiving world is very small and if there are other jumpers on here, there is a chance we have met. My other hobbies are: buying/riding vintage schwinn bicycles (love 'em), flying R.C. airplanes, flying kites, flying sailplanes (it's been a few years), being a nerd in general, drinking beer, and someday soon I want a paraglider.
    I am only packing for one guy today and I am very boared. I guess I would start a thread on something I can actually hold a conversation on. He just landed so I gotta go pack, back in a few!

2. I did it once. Quite the experience.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I plan on doing it this summer. Is $165 a head a bad price?

4. $165 for a tandem skydive is a pretty average price (especially if you are near a big city). Few DZ's charge less, lots of them charge more. Which DZ are you going to?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No, but now that I'm 18, I hope to start.

6. I plan on going for my 23rd birthday in early may.
    Frist time for me.

7. maybe ill do it this summer, anyone know DZ's in NJ ?

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Thats my 18th birthday plan, actually.

9. thanks krate

10. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I really want to. The people closest to me are the lincoln sport parachute club in weeping water NE.
    thier site is http://www.skydivelspc.com/
    its something that I've always wanted to do.

11. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I did a tandem jump a few years ago. It is exactly like I feared it being... it's a long fall. Not to mention I had a few reserves about having a guy strapped to me ( I have nightmares about these things!). But definitely it was a good experience, just to see... If you got the nads give it a go!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my wife did the whole skydiving thing a couple of years ago, her ass is so big, it caused an eclipse

no joke

13. I've always said, "skydiving is not for everyone, but it's for anyone" (as long as your not too fat). I've seen thousands and thousands of first jump students, but I can literally count on one hand the people who did not enjoy it!
    I've chosen to make it my life. As long as the economy stays O.K. I am golden.

P.S. Your 1st jump can only happen one time, if you can afford it, spend the $70 (about what most DZ's charge) on a video of your jump. 99.9% chance you won't regret it!

14. OK, speaking of golden... :p

I used to do it with the Army. I'm not sure how much different it is doing a daytime "Hollywood" jump is different from a civillian jump- other than the height and static line...

I kinda miss it.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Did a S/L course with three jumps from a small club's C182, that was a year and a half back, just before the weathers turned sour.

Haven't had much money or time as a college student since that winter break, nor much motivation to do any more hanging exits from a cramped ride :(

I'll be working next summer 20mins from a larger DZ, Otter and all, so perhaps.. :ninja: