1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Ovation Acoustic Bass Users???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FranF, Mar 15, 2008.

1. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'm going to take posession of a Celebrity CC074 in a few days, and wonder if anyone here uses one, and can tell me what to expect. Also, to take it a step further, are the bronze acoustic strings mandatory on these or can I try a set of Thomastik JF flats on it? Anyone try it that way?

2. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I had one for a while, but did not care for it. It was not loud enough to play unamplified, The round back was not comfortable for my round front, I just never clicked with it. I liked playing my fretless Pbass Lyte with a SWR workingmans 10 much better for accompanying acoustic guitars. I did put flats on it, I liked the way it played with them better than the bronze, but they were even quiter without an amp.

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Hadn't thought about the "round-back/round-front" scenario! Guilty as charged...:eyebrow:

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Any others?:(

5. Pretty much what popgadget said. I would probably still have mine, except for my need to practice on a 5 string instrument. I've never played an ABG that I thought would compete against an acoustic guitar without some amp support.

The roundback is a tough adjustment, it feels more comfortable to me than a squared of model, but the dang thing just doesn't want to sit still.

Mine fought off feedback alot better than my current cheapo ebay 5 string fretless. Wasn't perfect, but I was able to play it loud as a backup in a rock band with only minor string muting.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It is a common misconception that the Ovation ABG's are not loud enough to compete in a completely acoustic environment. Nothing could be further from the truth. They tend to be louder than similarly sized instruments. The "problem" is that they tend to project forward, focusing most of the energy in the sound board rather than in the back and sides. That is the advantage of the parabolic bowl. While the rest of the players can hear the instrument very well the bass player perceives the instrument as being underpowered. However, the rest of the players will hear it loud and clear.

doctorwholittle likes this.
  7. I use the CC074 but not often. I prefer to use the OEM Adama bronze strings. they sound better to me hears. Be careful when changing the strings as the piezo pickup can come apart and the shims will fall to the floor...believe it!...this is a real nightmare trying to put that piezo back together w/ the shims. The CC074 is a great sounding, playing ABG. I'm thin in the belly so it fits me fine. I'm aggressive player as I like to dig into strings...attack the strings and the CC074 can handle it. This electric/acoustic is loud but doesnt project sound like most ABGs.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Thanks so far gentlemen! Sounds like I'm gonna dig it.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Should be a great bass. I'm a huge fan of Ovation acoustic guitars! I'd stick with the bronze strings, though thats just my tonal preference.

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Well, I pulled the supplied rounds off the bass and installed a set of T-I Jazz flats on the bass, and WOW! It's phenomenal. Smooth fat sound all over the neck. Highly recommended change!:hyper:

doctorwholittle likes this.
  11. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I just got one for $175 used, unsrue of the year, it is a CC074 and the two controls are tone and gain. Any Idea of the year?