Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Overwater Custom bass users or anyone with experience of playing these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am very tempted by these basses and find the people very good to deal with. But as they are based just about as far away from my home as they could be and still be in England, I haven't got round to visiting. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has played one - what do they sound like, any comparisons with other high-end basses?

Here's an example of their work - a Progress Series III Elite 7 String Bass (Tuned low F# to high C) :

[​IMG]

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I met Chris May in 1989 and have played many of his basses. I dont like them enough to buy them. The construction is excellent. Overwater are friendly to deal with (as you know).

In the end you are going to have to go up to the Lake District on Holidays or check with the Bass Centre (they used to stock them).

Not much help but your post goes to the top, lets see what response there is.

3. Bruce Lindfield

What did the ones you played sound like?

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bear with me here. It was a few years ago. They sounded like a 'typical' active bass. They did not have the grunt of a Musicman. They were warmer than a Status Series 2.

What I didnt like was the feel and the 35 in scale.

I was hoping that someone else with more recent experience would answer as well.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, a lot of the recent ones are 36" scale and the 7 string, I quoted above has a 38" scale!! But they are "custom" instruments so could be made differently I presume.

Overwater have a huge list of people (pros I presume)who play their basses so it does seem strange that nobody else here has tried one - maybe this is a reflection on the % of actual pro bass players around here! :)

6. Do you mean pros have no time to loose with Talkbass? :D

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Don't forget to check out the review of the Anniversary model from 'Bassist' last year (the one that was given away in a competition). That might shed some light.

Also, have you considered Sei basses? Though I'm sure Overwater basses are perfectly nice, their designs seem to be a bit "tame". Some of the basses at seibass.com are definitely much more appealing (to me anyway).

Oh, and GB basses, as well.

Dave

8. Bruce Lindfield

I've played a few Sei basses and do like them - I went up to the Gallery and had a whole afternoon playing them and talking to Martin Peterson.

My only trouble is that I can afford to buy basses/amps on credit - I have a good steady job with no problems. But I don't have £2,000 just lying around. I have bought amps/cabs mail order from Overwater on interest-free credit and been very happy with their service and the credit arrangements are very "painless" - you get the gear straight away and don't pay any interest - in a few months it's paid off!

Trouble with Sei basses is that you pay most of the money up-front and don't get to see the bass for 6 months - too frustrating for me!!

Now - Overwater have a lot of their basses available to buy and try, but Carlisle is a long way from Brighton and I would never buy a bass without trying it first, so I'm really trying assess whether it's worth the hassle to visit them??

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Bruce,

I know someone who might have a 7 string for sale, maybe you could have it cheaper than that bass. Let me know.

Yvon

10. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks - but I don't want a 7-string. And what I was trying to explain was that I am looking at buying basses on "interest-free credit" - this is the reason I am thinking about Overwater - the pic was just an example. I have no spare cash and buying by credit card just means you are going to pay huge amounts of interest, so I wouldn't consider this either. I am also not really interested in "cheap" basses, but rather in the best quality instrument I can get and wouldn't buy a bass without trying it extensively first. Overwater are just about at the limit of my "travelling range" - although I haven't ruled out a "bass-buying" expedition to teh US - there are still very cheap flights to New York everywhere!! ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for this - I hadn't thought of that - checking it out now!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The one I played at John D.'s Bass Alone in San Diego seemed to be well made if not as "elegant" as some of the other stuff. It was markedly inferior in tone to the Roscoe's, however. Rather thin and lacking in top-to-bottom tonal balance. I'd say it's a pretty nice bass but not on my short list. There's just way too much competition at that price point and the Roscoe's, again, are WAY better sounding.

13. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    :D I've played a whole lot of high end basses, and my Overwater kicks ass with all of them.
    For me it is the 36 " scale length, but their approach to the electronics is great.

it's a GREAT fealing to spend a whole lot of cash on a bass, and then years later after playing other basses, your's is still the best you've played.

I'm lovin it, lovin it, lovin it