1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any part of the circle affecting your tone a lot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aras, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Recently i've made an experiment. I have EMG GZR set. PJ set. It is lovely sounding passive set. But it became interesting for me how it will sounds if i connect neck pickup volume pot straight to the output. Without second pickup and tone pot. Difference was VERY noticeable! More rich and full tone. It is hard to say that EMG stuff is bad, no it is not, but this showing how drastically affected sound is by , lets say, not very good onboard active pre-amp and EQ. If tone was changed a lot just bypassing two passive pots. Sound could be even better if i would solder pickup wiring straight to the output. But i need volume control. It could be done with on/off switch tho. Most simple one that just unconnected the chain. Well, what is an idea of my post. I didn't thought that difference will be so noticeable. So watch what you stick into your bass guitar cavity :) Probably you can upgrade sound of not very expensive active bass with just throwing off some unneeded stuff out of it, instead of buying another one

ctmullins likes this.
  2. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    For a passive bass, pots load the circuit even when they're full on - the result is a slight loss of top end. By taking the pot out, you're restoring that loss. It can definitely make a big difference, although in many instruments the result will be undesirable (it'll be way too bright).

If you want to have a variable volume control, but don't want to lose anything, just use a higher value pot - if you have a 250k now, try a 500k. Or jump up to a 1 meg pot. The higher the pot value, the less brightness is lost.

75Ric and Aras like this.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The EMG Geezer set isn’t active at all (completely passive, no battery/power required), but the issue you describe is one big reason people started putting active electronics in basses- an active buffer decrease/eliminate the loading losses that you experience with passive volume/tone controls

4. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    I wrote that EMG GZR are passive.And you misunderstood the point of my post. here it is : "Well, what is an idea of my post. I didn't thought that difference will be so noticeable. So watch what you stick into your bass guitar cavity :) Probably you can upgrade sound of not very expensive active bass with just throwing off some unneeded stuff out of it, instead of buying another one"

5. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Not very good active electronics can choke the sound

ctmullins likes this.
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You seemed to be using your experience with your completely passive bass to reach the conclusion that "It is hard to say that EMG stuff is bad, no it is not, but this showing how drastically affected sound is by , lets say, not very good onboard active pre-amp and EQ." and "Probably you can upgrade sound of not very expensive active bass with just throwing off some unneeded stuff out of it, instead of buying another one". Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part.
    True- active electronics won't always reduce losses (and can cause their own). In many cases an active onboard preamp is an EQ control just added after a complete passive circuit (passive pickup into passive volume control, and even maybe passive tone control then run into an active EQ), whereas generally the "least lossy" circuit will be a pickup run directly into some sort of buffer/amplifier first thing (which is what the inside of an EMG active pickup has, or externally what alot of particularly loved active preamps do (like alot of John East preamps, Alembic, Wal, etc).
    I personally like the character of some passive losses in a signal, so I like combining full passive circuits with active tone controls. It sounds like you might prefer the use of an active buffer circuit in your bass, which would allow you to run volume controls without the same signal loss as the passive circuit. The EMG Geezer package is directly meant to replicate a traditional P-bass circuit, with all its inherent losses and character, but with some modern improvements like some built-in shielding and solderless connectors.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021