Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any passive basses that sound similiar to a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Jun 8, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    It doesn't need to be exact. Just curious what passive basses can get that ultra-deep rumble. BTW, I don't slap much so that's not a requirement.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You're not going to get particularly close with passive electronics, but I guess a passive SUB or an OLP would be fairly similar.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A G&L L2000 or L2500 can get very very close, even in passive mode.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    OLP MM2 comes surprisingly close for a passive,

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've heard that the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 can get fairly close.

It's hard to see any passive bass really nailing the SR sound since a lot of its sound comes from the SR preamp.

6. How about the Ibanez AKT?

7. +1 to Ibanez ATK.

The MTD Kingston line has a MM style pickup and a really fast neck. I love mine, but it's up on the for sale block to pay for an aggy cab...

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The ATK is the closest thign I've found to sounding like a Stingray, but it is an active bass.

If you are looking strictly for a passive bass, others on this thread have mentioned some good ones. As a shameless plug, I'd like to mention that I have a passive Dillion 5-string Stingray copy with a Bartolini pickup for sale for only 300 bucks, if interested. :D

9. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    what about a MIA P with a Basslines Quarter Pound pup?

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Not really.

The Ibanez ATK comes close, the MTD Kingston and OLP MM2 probably come a little closer.

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Cough Cough.

FURY!!!!
    [​IMG]

For info PM me...

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What on Earth is that?

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    A shop a couple of miles away from Dingwall that makes the best sounding and playing passive basses on the planet IMHO. Support is the best in the business and the pricing is great. The company has been around since 1962 and everything on the bass except the tuning machines are made by the owner who is also the only one employed by the company. Ridiculously great passive tone.
    Here's one of mine.
    [​IMG]

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    And a fretless
    [​IMG]

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Is there a website? What do they usually run for?

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ernie Ball will make a passive model Stingray for you if you like. I've got a friend of mine who is in a wildy popular industrial band, who contracted them to make him a bunch of black passive Stingrays with just a volume knob. They were really cool, and sounded great (not to mention they could handle being smashed into keyboards and such night after night).

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The website is old and outdated because the company has been extremely busy for the past 7 years or so. Glenn (owner) hasn't had time to do a new one.
    www.furyguitar.com
    For a standard color fretted bass with chrome hardware you're looking at about $1700 canadian with case. For a fretless it's about 60 dollars more if I remember correctly. All bases come with the thumbrest and the only drop tuning mechanism I would ever trust. Up and down quietly and in tune every time.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

ATK i was impressed by their some quality to that, it is active bass but with some of the same qualitys as the sting ray is a G&L L2000.Dillion's musicman copy is that active or passive?.

19. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Dingwall Afterburner - no wait, they sound better than a Stingray :smug:

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    edit