1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any past or present single HB 5ers with pickup placement like L1K?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by HeavyDuty, May 8, 2006.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a beater L-1000 parts bass that absolutely oozes mojo. It doesn't get a lot of play any more since I transitioned over to fivers.

Does G&L do a single humbucker five string with the pickup in the same position as on my L-1000 (i.e. like a P-bass)?

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The L2K 4 banger is in the same position. I don't have a 2500 to tell you for sure if the 2500 is in the same spot but I believe it is.

There has been discussion of converting an L25K to an "L-1005".

In theory it can be done.

Jim

3. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    How about the L-1505...

L-1505 on G&Ls website

Cheers,
    Chris

(edited cause I are dumb) Duhhh... You said L-1000. Sorry, no they don't make a fiver, or any L-1000s anymore. Yeah... I guess you would have to mod an L-2500 I guess. Might be an interesting project with a Tribute.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bummer. Thanks!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Unless it's a "looks thing" just buy an L2500, and run neck only on the pickup selector.

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I dunno where the pickup is on the L-1000, but on the tribby L-2500, the neck pickup is here: the neck coil is 28 1/4" from the bridge side of the nut, and the bridge coil is 29 1/16" from the bridge side of the nut. This neck pickup is the first and only one I'll play alone. To my ear, neck pickups are always too murky, undefined. This one, aside from being a louder than hell, big ol' humbucker, sort of "channels" a P bass, to me anyway.

HTH, a little,

Lee

7. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I always thought GR basses looked a lot like L1Ks (and some are 5-string, I think). But their website, while still active, hasn't been updated in a while from what I can tell.

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Ken an L-2000 the neck pickup is exactly where the L1K is. I've measured them.

The rest is changing the wiring which is pretty darn easy. Presto an L-1005.

You just have to live with a second pickup you do not use.

Jim

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh, never heard of them. Are they good?

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's good to know - I had assumed they were placed differently. An L-2000 could be an option.