Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any patent attorneys among us?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pkr2, Feb 21, 2001.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    My apologies if this is a bit off the topic of setup, but it seems to be the best thread for my question(s).

I have come up with an invention that pertains to a bass or guitar and I want some input on how to protect my idea.

Have any of you dealt with the patent process ? Can I test the waters a bit without a patent and still protect my interests?

Any good advice from someone who has dealt with a project from concept to market?

As a matter of fact, any good advice, period.

Tnx, Pkr2

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Pkr2- I was looking into it about something I had in the works for fingerboards - two I found helpful were software named "Patent Wizard 2.0," and looking at www.nolo.com/index.htm

I never looked into them in any depth, just at them.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You can brave the patent prosecution process yourself, but it's much better to hire a qualified patent attorney. www.uspto.gov has some FAQs for people who wish to self-patent, but you need to know a little bit of the law in order to get a patent allowed. Stay away from those "inventor services" you see advertised on TV; they do nothing for you.

Until your invention is patented, keep it a secret; don't tell it to anyone, and don't write it down unless you mark the documents "confidential". Legal protection will attach to trade secrets so long as one takes reasonable steps to maintain their confidentiality.

"Testing the waters" will raise what is called a statutory bar; ie. if you don't apply for a patent within one year of the public demonstration or use of the invention, you will be barred from patenting it.

Good luck.