Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Paul Jackson Fans??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by top028, Aug 23, 2000.

1. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I recently saw the Paul Jackson/Mike Clark video from the early nineties. I was floored. Any one know any good albums he plays on, besides the headhunters disks? His playing is supurb on recent headhunters disk...as well as the clasic headhunters. He is one of the best "Groovers" I have heard. Definantly has pocket!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a big Paul Jackson/Mike Clark fan...
    THRUST is cool(Herbie Hancock); I just bought FLOOD(as an import)...it's a double-live album on ONE cd. It was recorded during the '70s, muy mal! I hope to buying more of those import releases from http://www.audiophileimports.com as the $$ allows.
    I also have a PJ/MC album called THE FUNK STOPS HERE(w/ Kenny Garrett on sax).
    The one Mike Clark solo disc I have(GIVE THE DRUMMER SOME)was a surprise; I was expecting some hard Funk...instead, the cd was some hard bop. Very swingin' date.

Anybody have The Headhunters' cds(the ones without Herbie)?

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hey,Paul is a realy bad cat!
    I have only listened to the old Hancock records:he has great sense of the space(Chameleon bass part is amazing...),great funk lines,bad sound,.....he is a master in his style,of course!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Big fan of PJ here, too.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    My brother has The Return of the Headhunters, and I have to say I don't like it as much as Headhunters. They have Herbie as a guest keyboardist, and there are some vocals on the album as well. But, Paul Jackson has a few good tunes on the album (I can't remember any right now), and his basslines are more complicated than the first Headhunters. (not necessarily "better") Anyway, I wouldn't buy the album, but it's worth a listen.

PS: I think Harvey Mason could drum circles around Max Clark any day.

Dave

6. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Personally I think the return of the Head hunters is a great album, and I do agree with you on Harvey mason, But I like mike clark's use of linear grooves, and his feel. I guess Mike clark drums more my style.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I got that "new" Headhunters' cd; really, I thought it stink, stank, stunk.
    I'm talking about the Headhunters' cds sans Herbie that were released in the late '70s/early '80s.

I'd have to go with Mike Clark over Harvey Mason. I dug Mason alright back in the '70s; lately,...whew, Fourplay? Nah!

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    As much as I liked Harvey's playing back then (pretty generic and safe now) I thought Mike was more adventurous and more fun to listen to with Paul Jackson and Percy Jones (Brand X). YMMV

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree, Brad-
    Clark has got the "Bay Area Funk" thing goin' on(Garibaldi is another one...must be something in the water out there).
    Clark can also swing like a mad man; for the life of me, I can't seem to recall one straightahead-ish album of Mason's.
    Are there any?

10. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Garabaldi as a white guy is has mastered the afro-cuban style of playing. I am also a drummer, and watched some of his videos. Tower of Power is my favorite band...excelent musicianship. Does any one know what happened to Chester Tompson (the organ player from the seventies) I heard that he moved over with santana.

11. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I have to admit that the only album with Max Clark that I've heard was the return of the headhunters, so I'm just basing my opinion on that.
    Geeze, there are so many players that I DON'T know about; I have to check them out so I can partake in these discussions.

I'm going to listen to Hank Mobley and Christian McBride, then Charlie Mingus and Miles Davis... How's that list?

Dave

12. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    kick ass list man...dont forget the first Head Hunters album. For some slow grooves, dont miss the Meters!!

13. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't think Jackson gets the credit he deserves. Vic can slap the hell out of his bass, but Paul Jackson's the king of funk in my book. Of course, playing with Clark and Herbie doesn't hurt ;-}...

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked up two cds today-
    1)Herbie's MAN-CHILD; it's from '75, I never had it 'til now. Some more cool Jackson/Clark grooves; Mason & Louis Johnson are also on the album.

Disc 2 is something called the MUSIC REVELATION ENSEMBLE(it was $9)...it's a Blood Ulmer project; it caught my eye 'cause three horn players that I dig are on it + an ELECTRIC bass is used. This combination intrigued me ;)
    Anyway, GGGGEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!! The drummer on this cd is H-O-T! His name is Cornell W. Rochester; anybody got the scoop on this guy? ...Brad?

15. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    top- Right on with the Meters stuff. I have the Meters anthology. But, if you like the Meters, you'll love Galactic. Check them out for some New Orleans funk!

Dave

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm also a great fan and one of my favourite moments in music is on Chameleon, where the synth bass stops and the "real" bass line starts under the piano solo.

I have an unofficial recording of the new Head Hunters playing live in London, which I copied of the BBC radio programme "Jazz on 3" , which has some awesome bass/drum grooves.

I would also like to buy some other albums on which he has played, but there don't seem to have been any apart from HH releases mentioned here - or have I missed something? I read through the thread several times !

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Headhunters released 2 albums WITHOUT Herbie-
    1)"Survival Of The Fittest" from '75
    2)"Straight From The Gate" from '77

Japanese imports...pricey($30 ea). Available at http://www.audiophileimports.com

Nobody knows Cornell Rochester, huh? I did find a solo cd of his at http://www.towerrecords.com & I ordered that mo'fo!

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not familiar with Mr Rochester but thanks for the tip, Jim:D
    I love good (and great)drummers.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jim - having re-read, I may have confused the issue even more myself. When I said HH, I meant does anyne know of any albums Paul Jackson has played on that aren't HeadHunters albums? Surely Headhunters wasn't his first album?

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You are correct, sir. CT has been with CS for a while.