Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Peavy 410TX owners/anyone with opinions on them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Sep 16, 2005.

1. If so, how does/did it sound, and what amp did you pair it with?

The reason I ask is cuz I'm very unhappy with my sound & I'm trying to find my weaknesses. The amp I use currently puts out 180watts @ 8ohms so I know the speakers are under powered to hear their full potential. However, I don't believe that's why my sound is what it is - midrangy w/ no punch, muddy lows and high highs.

I know there are many factors, but I believe this cab may be my weak link.

Here's why:

I LOVE the sound of the Stingray basses and I had previously purchased one for that. I played many Rays prior to that in shops thru GK & SWR setups with 4 x 10 cabs because I never wanted to lugg my gear to the shops.
    When I got home with the bass & plugged it through my rig, Carvin PB300 and the Peavy, the Ray didn't sound like a Ray! What the hell I asked. Is it my amp or cab? I then plugged it into my 4-track and yes there was that sound I know and love.

So, do I need to ge rid of this thing or what?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 4x10 TX sounds a lot like the older SWR cabs, just not quite as refined, and a little less punch. They're good cabs, but 180W isn't going to be boneshakingly loud with one. I used one with an SWR SM400S for a long time and it always sounded good.

4. I have a 410TX I use with a Peavey Firebass 700, it puts out 275watts into 8ohms. The cab sounds good and puts out nice lows and smooth mids. It isn't terribly loud but it'll do the job in a rock band at reasonable volumes. The horn on mine doesnt work, which is a problem I've read about in a few reviews. I haven't opened it up to check it out but I suspect a cheap crossover is to blame. I pair it with an Avatar B212LF, which uses the same horn, so I have a good idea of what the horn would add. Overall I'd say its smoother and more balanced sounding that my Avatar 212, with slightly less low lows. It's a very tight sounding cab, the first time I tried it I thought it was a sealed box.

Edit: I just read your last paragraph. If the horn isn't working on your cab then you will lose a lot of upper definition, which may include frequencies that make the "Stingray sound." I use an American Deluxe P with mine, and its sounds just like it should. I'd point the finger at that head before the cab.

5. I use either my SVT II ( 300 watt all valve at 2 or 4 ohm) or Firebass 700 (8ohm-275watts, 4ohm-475watts, 2ohm-700watts )with a 410TXF and 215D-BW, the TXF is the exact same as the TVX bar from being carpeted instead of torlex, anyway, i think it sounds really nice with either head, and you shouldnt be expecting much from 180 watts, i think that is your problem

6. I have a 410 TX, and I think it's a good sounding cab, although right now it's not on my "front burner", so to speak. I will say that it is a bit power hungry, as some here have indicated. I used to use it with a Peavey Mark VIII XP, and that amp puts out only around 200 WRMS at 8 ohms. It was always pushing into the DDT clip zone, which meant it was out of headroom, and not getting any louder. However, when I used it with my Eden WT 800, running 800 watts bridged into its 8 ohms, it was heavenly! Big difference, for sure. I did a mod to the crossover, by the way, which allows the 10s to run full range without being affected by the crossover. This took a bit of the built-in midrange scoop out of the cab's sound, which helped a lot in a rock band context. More overall presence without having to bump up the mid settings on the amp. Nice sounding cab, to me. I play a StingRay 5, by the way. Check to see if your tweeter is working (should be able to just hear hiss if you put your ear down near it with amp on and nothing playing).

7. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I run my Gk 800 with sansamp DI in front into 410tx and GK 115 to get the 4 ohm load,sometimes just the 410 always with tweet off ,either way sounds pretty good, I think the tx are great for the money and very reliable, unless you can afford to jump into Bergie prices and if your back is strong you can't go wrong with 410 TX just bump the mids a little .