Any people that breed dogs here??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Feb 11, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey this is really off topic. But with the wide range of people here who knows what kind of hobbies they have.

I'm thinking about getting a Boston Terrier at some point and I need a reliable breeder.

Dont chime in with the adopt thing or buy a mutt. Ive been done that road and was happy with it. But I want a puppy and a B.Terror.

Any ideas?? I wont be surprised if this thread never gets a reply.
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I hear crickets!
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Boston Terror? Are they that bad? :p
  4. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Like they'd admit it???

Sorry. Couldn't resisit.

5. I'll support a fellow Mod!

Yeah I've wanted to buy a beagle pup for ages now... all i need is money! lol!

beagles rawk man!

Soooo if no-one is a breeder here.. anyone know of breeders?

6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Dogs are the best people!
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Have faith man.

I have two BT's, awesome dogs. Both mine came from the same breader here in memphis, well actually just out side of memphis. Its a family of mennanites (I know I butchered that). Anyway, great family and they live out in the country. The lady breeds Boston Terrier's and Pugs. She has some great dogs!
    I'll be happy to help you with the pups. not sure their real internet friendly, but I'll be happy to take pics of them when she has more pups and shoot them over to you.

I'll be happy to send pics of my two so you can see atleast what she's producing :)

Actually heres a link of a bass I had forsale some time ago with my oldest in the pic.

Mine have the same mom, but different dad's. Only dog's can get away with it!
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Uhoh! Looks like our canine moderator is looking to get hooked up for Valentine's Day :D

Nookin' pa nub in all da wong paces....
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Figured I would share since the thread subject seems to be about good breeders in general in addition to the specific request for Boston Terriers.

If anyone in the Northeast corridor or Delaware Valley area is ever interested in a Golden Retriever, feel free to PM me. I know of an impeccable breeder from whom we just bought a pup, and the whole litter was excellent. Every single pup has a great temperament, perfect health, and I honestly believe they're all show quality dogs.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

That is pretty funny though. Odie the canine moderator looking for a dog!!!
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

BRIAN-YES!!! Give a number and name if you want and when she has the pups the pics would be awesome.

Those Bostons are so hard to get a hold of around here, at least ones that are not from a pup mill/farm. Did she have the AKC papers etc along with the breeding line etc??
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    My advice would be to hit the internet and see if you can find a BT club, either locally or nationally. These people will generally have the names and numbers of reputable breeders.
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yuppers- Talked to the contact person for Minnesota, which seems to be the largest in the area since they have members from the Dakotas and Iowa and Wisconsin. They only had 2 breeders that they knew of that might be breeding in the next year. The problem is I dont want to get one from a hole in the wall "lets get together and breed some pups" or a puppy mill. I want to get one from a reputable breeder that follows the standard of the breed. Most of these breeders only have pups once a year and have a waiting list.
  14. Can't wait to get me a couple long haired weiner dogs. Black, not brown. Best dogs ever:D
  15. odie

odie Supporting Member

tallguys- I ve considered them to. Very nice dogs. Prefer long hair or bristle hair(?)
  16. Yea, but probably only cause I have two at home. Mine have the markings of a rotwiller (sp?) only a lot smaller :D

Fun dogs thoguh, bark quite a bit, but I live right off a golf course.

I miss those dogs
  17. mooechili

Jan 2, 2003
    We raise Jack Russell Terriers, registered through the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America (JRTCA). Awesome little dogs. We attend JRTCA terrier trials, consisting not only of conformation but fun stuff like racing and go to ground. Really laid back trials... wear whatever you want, nothing like an AKC show. And we usually have a jam session the night before, a great time.
    We've got a bitch that participated in the Animal Planet Superstar Competion Dirt Dog Competition, my gal Cal. She also earned the first hunting certificate issued IN Texas in nearly 20 a coon. Cal is my best bud and my #1 deckhand.
    Music related, out of 15 or so terriers that we have, only one likes the drums. The louder you play the closer he comes..the rest of them don't like that much at all. Of course they all enjoy a good bass..their favorite..a Fender P.
  18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Been a while since I got involved in breeding per se, but I may be looking for a breeder soon. May also get back into it if I find the right dog(s).

My family has owned German Sheperds since I was a pup. I have one now and may be considering getting a puppy in the next year or two.

My current dog is shutzhund trained, though I never had him compete. Next one I may have compete.

Dbasica - As you can see, the 55-02 is in safe keeping ;)

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well I've sucessfully bred a Bulldog and a Shizu.

Sorry... somebody had to make the joke. :spit:
  20. mooechili

Jan 2, 2003
    I'm attempting to post a picture, hopefully it's not too big and I'm not too stupid.
    My terrier located a 25 lb coon in the ground..she pushed and held it at the end of the set while we dug down approx 3', broke through to the tunnel and opened the hole. It was then she and the coon tangled, they both got banged up a bit. It's hard to see the coon since the coat is the color of the earth..that's one of the coon's front legs in her mouth. BTW, the coon was released to hunt another day.
    My advice on finding a breeder/buying a pup. Never buy a pup from a pet store, will most likely be supporting puppy mills. Ask a breeder you find if they CERF and BAER test their breeding stock. CERF is a cataract test and needs to be done once a year. BAER is a hearing test that is only done once. Any breeder that does this cares about the breed and what is produced.
    The fact that a dog is registered through the AKC, UKC, whatever, basically doesn't mean much at all. These breed registries blanket register any litter from registered parents. They may have genetic defects, blind, deaf, may have bad bites, luxating patellas, hip dysplasia, any number of undesirable traits.
    What I like about a breed registry such as the JRTCA is that even though pups are born from registered parents, they are not able to be registered until a minimum of 1 year of age. The terrier must be examined by a vet for any obvious faults, pictures must be taken and me that means a great deal.
    If you buy a working breed, find out if the breeder works their is too easy to breed the 'hunt' out of the dog. And always ask to see the dam and sire.