Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Persian Gulf Vets??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Just wondered if any of my low frequency brethren have had the pleasure of visiting the Gulf while in the armed forces......:confused:

If so, what branch of service---

What was your rating (specialized field)---

How long were you there---

Any special thoughts to share---

Thanks,

b

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was in the Gulf, Dec 90-April 91. I was a Lance Corporal (E-3) with USMC Infantry....
    [​IMG]

P@

3. The Persian Gulf fretless low-frequency instrument...

4. Navy, Sonar Technician (see "Hunt for Red October"), Operation Southern Watch, in 1993.

I'll never forget cruising around on a billion dollar warship, and seeing the oil towers burn at night.

One of the ports we visited (Bahrain if memory serves) had a Mexican restaurant called Pancho Villas. I enjoyed one of the best beers I've ever tasted. "John Smith's Bitter Ale".

5. I didn't serve in the Gulf, but I did serve in an operational status during the Gulf War. I was in the test Squadron at Eglin AFB as an aircraft crew chief/pneudraulic mechanic/engine mechanic. We developed the bunker buster which helped end the war.

Until we developed it, they weren't interested in surrendering, because we couldn't get to them. As soon as we developed it and blew up a few bunkers, they surrendered. So I do have a National Defense Ribbon for the Gulf War, just no Kuwaiti Liberation Medal, unless that has changed since I got out.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

sir, i do believe that to be an M-249 squad automatic weapon...

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You are probably talking about Pancho Villas in Dubai - been there, nice place. Maybe there's another one in Bahrain though.

8. My bad!!:oops: Hey - you ever meer "Pancho?" :confused:

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    No...frankly, I was more interested in 'muchachas' :D

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Served during, but not in, Shield/Storm. I personally played for every single troop that left Ft Huachuca for the gulf. (That was a lot of troops, if not a major accomplishment.) I felt like I wanted to do more, untill one guy called me when he got back to thank us.

11. eh...that is actually an m-60 light machine gun.

the m-249 was not in service back then. the military is phasing out many of the m-60s currently in service, and replacing them with the m-249 SAW.

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    slight correction.... the 249 has been in service since the mid 80's...

P@

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Was in Korea during the Gulf War. Will be in Korea for the next Gulf War. And the next Korean War.

Jon, some day, I'll tell you some stories. :cool:

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    2d Armored Div. Armor LT. didn't stay quite long enough.

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Lump, I'll buy.

If the next Korean War is soon, I'll probably see you. I'm in the bucket in September...

16. slight correction.... the 249 has been in service since the mid 80's...

Well, that's still noticeably newer than the 60.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ummm, my bad....i saw the handle and was like SAW SAW...but now that i look, i see the rear sight and the big honkin' buttstock under his arm....m-60 it is...

i never shot anything but an m-4 for any length of time...and now the steyr minimi--awesome weapon

18. From a civilian here...

Aren't the 60's heavy as anything?

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    23 or 24 pounds...not quite as much as JT's doubleneck