Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Peter Washington Fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Pcocobass, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    "I just picked up "Bill Charlap Plays Gershwin" with Peter Washington on bass. What a great CD. Peter sounds great. He has a huge sound, and his walking lines are swinging hard!

This particular recording also features Frank Wess, Nicholas Payton, Phil Woods, Slide Hampton & Kenny Washington on drums. What a line up!

Can anyone recommend any other recordings with Peter?

2. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Cool...thanks. I'll definately check these out.

3. I dig Washington a lot. He's played a lot of good dates on Criss Cross with guys like David Hazeltine, Jim Snidero and Steve Davis. His solo on Thad Jones' "The Summary" on Davis's "Vibe Up" is one of my favorites.

I've seen him play in Chicago with Charlap a couple of times. From my observations, he uses only one right-hand finger to walk; his index overlapped by middle finger. For solos, he switches to middle finger overlapped by index. He sticks to this formula not matter how fast the tempo. Pretty amazing, but he attributes his huge tone to it.

4. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I saw him do this at the Vanguard. I couln't believe that he could use just one finger at tempos that fast. It was pretty amazing. I believe Ray Brown did the same.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Big, giant, huge, immense, gargantuan, leviathan-like Peter Washington fan. ANYTHING is good, prolly my favorite is DUBAI under drummer Billy Drummond's name - Billy D., Peter, Chris Potter and Walt Weiskopf. From Irving Berlin to Ornette Coleman and originals thrown in.

The cuts I've heard from Walt Weiskopf's nonet records are good too...

6. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Thanks, Ed!

7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Wow, I thought more would comment about Peter Washington... Am I missing an older thread somewhere?

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I really dig him. I currently am in a "hump" phase. Few guys have more "hump" than him. My fav. Tommy Flanigan (sp?) 'Sea Changes'
    I also really dig the album of Charlap doing all West Side Story stuff. Really cool arrangements. I especially like him when Kenny Washington is on drums. Those two have a great groove together.

9. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    Peter Washington is great! I think my favorites are "Time and Again" by Mulgrew Miller and he's on a Ralph Moore record where they play Monk's Dream.

10. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hear him quite a bit on KJazz radio ( www.kkjz.com ) - recently they played a great track from Joe Magnarelli and John Swana - Peter sounded so thick and rich, even on my old car radio.

Thanks for the recommended titles - I've been keeping a look out for his stuff whenever I'm browsing in CD shops.

11. Well, that's the cool thing about Peter Washington. He's a superbly supportive player who doesn't need to call a whole lot of attention to himself. He doesn't do anything that makes him "stick out," until you just sit down and really try to isolate him while you listen. Which, I imagine, is what makes him such an in-demand player among the congniscenti.

12. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Great point, Mike.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Peter plays the solo db part on the Jim Snidero's Jazz Conception play along-book for db. Good practice book, IMHO.

I have fond memories of a Brandford Marsalis concert at the New Morning (Paris) where they performed Love Supreme. PW was admirable, again. Nice guy too, we had a chat at the Vanguard when I went to check out Tommy Flanagan.

do I qualify for a PW fanclub membership card ?

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Aw, now KOKO, whatchoo speck?

" I think PW is just peachy."
    " Me, too. Just peachy."

chirp...chirp...chirp....

It ain't gonna be a barnburner until somebody comes in saying how PW is a girlyman who couldn't walk a line if it was painted in fluorescent ink and couldn't swing if he was on a playground. THEN ya got yer 40 page thread.
    But this is kinda my point - for every thread about JP or Bromberg (you know, the -I've heard exactly two records with upright on them and INSERT EITHER NAME is the greatest jazz bassist of all time-threads) Peter Washington is probably on the same number of recordings as number of posts in ALL the threads. But how many cats are listening?

15. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Actually, FOOKWAH... this is EXACTLY the type of reply I was hoping for. Ya know, just to add a little excitement to my otherwise bland day...(pretty sad, huh). But your comment about PW still isn't as bad as a post I read that said Ray Brown had sketchy intonation and poor technique (I'm paraphrasing, of course). But, I digress...

16. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    I recently saw PW at the vanguard with Charlap. Solid, Solid,
    Solid. But very understated at that gig. Just laying down a carpet for Charlap and his pretty active left hand. Maybe not impressing the dilletantes but the bass players and aspiring bass players know the deal. It's like any higher form of art in our fast-food culture- if it takes effort and education to get a deeper appreciation of something, many of our fellow humans just aren't that interested.

17. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    No-nonsense: did you guys listen to Peter Coco and his bro on their site ?

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Why yo name say PHILLY when you in NYC?

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Peter Washington is a girlyman who couldn't walk a line if it was painted in fluorescent ink and couldn't swing if he was on a playground. He doesn't even swing as hard as Marc Johnson, and we know about Marc, right?

20. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I thought it was Nancy Washington...