Any point in buying in the US to be shipped to the UK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Aug 4, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I've been looking at price differences between the UK and US and have to say that I'd save a lot by ordering a bass from the US to be shipped here. What on average is the price most US stores would charge for shipping to the UK and what are some of the things i'd need to look out for?
    Also, can you recommend any US stores that offer a good service in this area.
  2. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    theres no point.

after the ample shipping charge you'll get charged VAT and import tax, so it'll cost around the same price as in UK, but be double the hassle.
  3. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Heres the skinny. You'll be charged about $150 dollars for shipping. You'll have to pay 3.2% customs tax and then the VAT @17.5%. The shipping company then charges a fee anywhere between £20 -£40 'administration' for collecting the VAT on behalf of customs and excise. On something like a Stingray or MIA Jazz you wind up slightly in pocket £40 to £80 at most. You havent tried the instrument and you run the lottery of potential shipping damage. It really isnt worth it in my opinion unless of course you are buying something in the $3500 to $4500 (Sadowsky, Fodera, Lakland USA, Alembic etc) and you might save yourself a couple of hundred quid and you have the reputation for excellent customers service to fall back on.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    For lower price point stuff, sure.

You CAN make some significant savings. A friend in the UK wanted a limited editition Fender Strat which was $1100 here and 1100 GBP over there. He sent me the money, I ordered it and then shipped it on to him. After shipping / VAT he still saved 250-300 GBP by his estimation.

Some major retailers won't ship overseas due to it violating dealership agreements. For example, music123 / musiciansfriend won't ship Fender overseas.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is my view - and there are lots of great basses to try in the UK - you could easily have a visit to several great London shops, try loads of basses - get great customer service and walk out, secure in the knowledge you have a bass that really works for you, under your arm! :)

Plus these shops will do a free setup, help you with any subsequent problems and you can negotiate prices, extras etc.

None of the risks...and it's more fun!! ;)
  6. Hysteria

Hysteria Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    I saved around £800 on my Modulus from Bass Central, and that was including shipping and import tax! I didn't really find it to be that much of a hassle either, great customer service and a pretty speedy delivery. :)