Any Polka/Klezmer players out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jontom, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I just finished listening to a polka radio show and was wondering if any of you guys have tackled some of the chops busting lead lines of Polka/Klezmer players... (I'm not referring to the root/fifth basslines, but the leads usually played by the clarinet, accordion,or violin). Thats something I'd like to get into, it seems like quite a workout!
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I had never even heard of Klezmer until I bought Fima Ephron's Soul Machine a few months back...then I read that Ephron also plays in a Klezmer outfit called the Hasidic New Wave(they're like a combination of Miles' era Bitches Brew, Weather Report, & Jimi Hendrix). ;)

And, no, it's not Root-5.
  4. I have played a bit of Klezmer over the years, and my current band (3 pc, guit, bass & perc) has a Klezmerish thing we fall into every now and then. Overall it is lots o' fun.

(Too many ballads for my taste though)
  5. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Klezmer? I never heard of that, but I started out by playing in my dads polka band when I was 15. I was able to talk him into letting me play some of the horn parts occasionaly. It was definitely a challenge.
  6. I did a couple of gigs with a Jewish band a while back. Tricky stuff, lots of it in 5/4.
  7. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Does my screen name imply anything?:D

Haven't played Klezmer but saw an article about it in Bass Player awhile back. Looks fairly challenging(odd time sigs, meter changes, etc).

I play in a Polish polka band which plays mostly in 2/4 but with a heavier rhythm section than what is found in other polka styles. Kind of a traditional polka style with rock elements mixed in! The sound has a different attitude about it than what most people associate the genre with.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    There's a fun band out of San Francisco called Polkacide. Check 'em out.
  9. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Anyone heard of Freezedried? They're from Chicago I believe. They're not too radical, but they are really good.
  10. Try anything by The Klezmatics , fun stuff and fairly easy to find (Amazon, Borders, etc.).
  11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    They performed this summer where I live at a big polka festival. Didn't get a chance to hear them, but I guess they utilize unconventional instruments than what is normal for the Polish genre.
  12. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Klezmer is alot of fun, i've done some gigs playing it, both on bass, and on violin/viola.. For a more modern, fusionesque approach, check out Farmers Market.

Or for some really good traditional stuff, check out Kroke.