Any Possibility for Newsted/ Metallica Again?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Boplicity, May 29, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I was just wondering if there is even a snowballs' chance in hell for Metallica to invite Jason Newsted back into the band and, even if they did, would he accept?

What made me wonder is I read that Bob Rock is playing the bass parts on the new album now being recorded. Maybe after a while, though, he will come to believe or they will come to believe it would be far better if Jason were back playing the bass parts.

What do you folks think about such a probability?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX has a LOT of news about Jason, here is one of the more recent articles:

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I think primus dude summed it up

I think he is having way too much fun with echobrain to go back to good ol' 'Tallica.

I wish he would though :( , but they would probably continue to treat him bad and make him "seen and not heard" :mad:
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would see that as a loss in terms of Jason's integrity.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, I saw Newsted's new band's video on MTV2 the other day. Sweet Bejeezus it was awful. Both the video and the song were just terrible. I'm pretty sure there's little to no chance of Jason going back to Metallica, but at least he played music that was bearable with them.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I doubt it. I think there's too much "bad blood" between James and Jay. Also, I think Jason is enjoying what he's doing now -- he said on VH1 that he went from playing 200-seat shows with Flotsam and Jetsam, to playing 15,000-seat arenas with Metallica and that it was cool to be doing the 600-seat shows with EchoBrain now. He said he enjoyed the interaction.

I don't want to see him go back to Big M either. I think it was and is time for him to move on. And for what it's worth, I don't think we'll see another permanent bassist in Metallica -- ever.
  7. Alright I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy Echobrain. The funny part is... I STILL CAN'T HEAR HIM! :D :eek: :confused: :D
  8. apparently David Ellefson is ready and willing to join Metallica- but the rumours are that when he contacted them after Megadeth split the reply was that there "wasn't a band to join" (from

Echobrain seems a bit dull to me- Southern blues-rock without much to distinguish it.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    For those of you who have MTV2 (myself not included,) Jason is hosting their afternoon rock show this week.
  10. MetalliCliff

Feb 18, 2002
    Jason's done. He quit. He left. No more. Byebye. So now Bob Rock is playing bass on the album and they're still looking for a new bassist. They might not get a new bassist because of all the "stuff" (for LACK of a better word:rolleyes: ) Jason's been saying. I gotta say, though he claims that the leave was peaceful and blah blah blah, I think he just wants to get attention so he keeps bringing up Metallica. When it comes down to it, he sees how many people have turned against the band and thinks that's his way to getting more fans. Why else would he put out an album with such..."interesting" songs?! When it comes down to it, they can let Bob play on the albums, and have a touring guy. They'll still rock, cause James writes the bass parts most of the time too, since *sniffle* Cliff's death. Let Jason slowly fall out of the spotlight as the anti-Metallica movement closes...:D
    By the way, the guys have been back in the studio for at least a month now, so there's a band to join, and yeah...Ellefson wasn't going to join anyway, last I heard. Since I'm in the club, I've heard recently... :rolleyes:
  11. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe he actually liked them? I also found it interesting to learn that Kirk Hammett played on one of their songs. He must have liked what he heard too! ;)

From what I've read and understand, most of the songs (if not all of them) were written before Jason joined up. Jason was asked to jam with drummer Brian Sagrafena, during Super Bowl XXIX. From that point on, Brian and his friend, guitarist Dylan Donkin, would write songs and bring the demos to Jason's house for him to listen to. Jason said that when he realized the potential of Dylan's voice, he asked them if they wanted to "go for it for real."

I think everyone needs an escape from their usual routines and being in a band is just that -- a job with routines. It's a fun job, but it's still a job. Imagine what you would do if your boss at the factory told you that when you weren't at work, you were to be thinking about work -- no sports, no music, no motorcycles, etc. How would you handle it? I think that when James Hetfield told Jason that he wasn't allowed to do anything but Metallica, Jason felt like he had been handed an ultimatum and did what a lot of us would have done -- he called it quits.
  12. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I heard a radio interview with Jason, He said that if James called him up and asked him over for a bbq or to play with his kids he would be there in a second, Plus he said he does not rule coming back, But james would have to mend the rift for disrespecting him, So there is hope.
  13. MetalliCliff

Feb 18, 2002
    I personally don't want to see Jason back in Metallica. He played great and had a great attitude but I just think that he belongs somewhere else now. By the way...has anybody besdies me noticed that we're only (publicly..not club-ly) getting Jason's side of the story. I read an interview the guys did after Jason was gone, and the man didn't even bring up any of his problems with James!!! He just walked out. So, before anybody else commenses in writing bad things about James or Metallica, or whatever, try to get BOTH SIDES (i know this is a new concept considering the way everything works in today's society and government, but try anyway!!). Just an idea.:cool:
  14. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    I too, saw him host the show and watched as much as I could stomach of the EchoBrain video. Afterwards, I chastised my TiVo for even recording it in the first place.

It sucked. There. I said it.

I realize it won't be Metallica-type rock, but damn, I was very disappointed.
  15. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    james did bass for there first album and he can do it again we will see the jason newsted back in the band in five to ten years when there doing reunion tours like kiss who knows maybe theyll dressup like sesame street characters instead of kiss demons...silly kiss demons regardless you guys shouldnt put down echobrain b/c not very many of us are on mtv2
  16. MetalliCliff

Feb 18, 2002
    Heh heh heh...Sesame Street characters. James as Big Bird, Lars as Elmo, Kirk
    ...(I'm not a huge Sesame Street nut, but oh well..) and Jason DEFINETLY as Oscar the Grouch!!!:D Sigh...kinda pathetic I used to watch Sesame Street when I was really little, and now that I'm bigger, I'm comparing my favorite band to Sesame Street.
  17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Kill 'Em All? I never realized that until just now!
  18. I just went to see Echobrain about 2 weeks ago. Personally I thought they were awesome. About Him Playing "interesting music" now. As was previoulsy stated Jason didnt really write much of anything off the album and also Jason always played a variety of music. While he was with Metallica he would Jam with many many many different people in many different styles. My girlfriend told me that she heard a rumor on a local radiostation that Jason said he would go back to metallica if they asked him. I pray that is not true because since he left he has really spread his wings.
  19. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    No, Cliff did the bass to Kill 'Em. They did have an a couple of indepdent releases I believe called "No Life Till Leather" and "Metal Up Your @SS". (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) Chimppimp might have been referring to one of those recordings.

20. They did have a demo called No life till leather wich was pretty much Kill em all. Cliff played on that. and I am not sure about metal up your ass but I would be pretty sure that wouldnt have been James because they had a basist before Cliff. I cannot recall His name but I could look it up if should I need to.