Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Randy Coven Fans????

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joemt, May 30, 2001.

1. Joemt

Joemt

Apr 9, 2001
    There is supposed to be a new "Best Of" collection
    out there. I've been unable to find it to date, but
    I already have all of the tunes from previous releases.

This should be a great find for those who are unfamiliar
    with his work.

Regards,

Joe T.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Randy was my first 'bass virtuoso hero', and 'Funk Me Tender' was one of the first 'bass records' I ever bought.

Check him out people, he's good!

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The "Best of Randy Coven" is available at Amazon.com for $15.99 plus shipping and handling. Sound samples of four songs including "Funk Me Tender" can be heard.

Can you fill me in? Coven's name rings bells, but I think I last read about him in the early nineties. Was he with a major band or was he always a solo artist? I just can't recall.

4. Boplicity

Well, I did some checking on my own. Coven has an official web site:

http://www.randycovensite.com

Now I know where I remember him from...the "CPR" album back in 1992 with Al Pitrelli on guitar and Jon O'Reilly on drums.

His latest album is "Witchway." His latest tour was late last year with Yngwie Malmsteen and Dio. His web site has a photo of each of his unusual basses. One is a three octave fretless. You can buy his out of print CDs right at his web site.

It seems to me he used to write a column for bass players in one of the metal guitar magazines like "Guitar World." He has a "Bass Secrets" part to his web site. What I saw was a lesson about using Aeolian and Locrian modes.

5. Has any one ever seen his bass video?

Great player but I think they found him in a bar before they shot the video.

6. Boplicity

Does he have a video? What is the name and is it worthwhile? He must be pretty good if he can play with Malmsteen. That guy is extremely demanding.

7. Joemt

Joemt

Apr 9, 2001
    The video is called :

Ultimate Lead Bass - Hotlicks

I seen the book a few times, but it's
    beyond my skill level at this time.
    Haven't seen the video. He is definitely
    a skilled player with plenty of licks. The
    music is a fusion based Rock. Plenty of
    great guitar work as well.

Seems like a cool guy. He sent me an
    autographed LP of Funk Me Tender. Got
    through his website.

Joe T.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i never heard a note of randy until i saw him match note for note with yngwie a few months ago.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I have the Greatest Hits CD and the Hot Licks video. Both are great. Randy's solo on "Funk me tender" is terrific and a good training on slapping and tapping techniques. He even uses Victor Wooten style up and down thumb slap. Gruffpuppy is right about Randy's condition in the video. He doesn't look OK at all. At a certain moment, when he's explaining something about using the middle finger, he says: "This one" and shows it to the camera. Even some production crew members' reaction can be heard. Anyway, this video really worths checking out. :)