Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any RBI users? Need opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L-1329, Aug 21, 2005.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Last night I got to hear another bassist playing a rig that's about the complete opposite of mine, with the same type of band and music. What I learned is how much better his rig came through the mix than mine does, and I want to get a more punchy rock band friendly tone. My budget is small for this so no rig replacement is going to happen, but I have been wondering how an RBI preamp in the rack might work. If anyone here uses one, or has used one as a preamp to a power amp, what did you think? At one time I was considering an Ampeg preamp, but have read too many stories of hissing and failures. Would the RBI be in the same ballpark in terms of tone? For what it's worth I would be running this to a power amp then either to Avatar 212/210 or Epifani 410/115, which ever ones would help me get a better rock tone. If there are any other pre's, or inexpensive options I'd appreciate any input. Last night was a good eye opener that as much as I love my rig, it isn't really the most ideal for the kind of music I like to play.

2. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i dont know much about the pre amps out, but i know bbe makes the bmax and bmax-t. the bmax (no tubes) is pretty inexpensive, and i know a few people around here use them, the bmax-t is similiar but has tubes and costs a little more. if you go to basstasters.com you can hear a demo of them, i personally think they get a good rock tone.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Question about your rig....

No offense to the guys who love avatar stuff, but why would you be getting either a epifani rig or an avatar rig?

I think the best choice is really obvious, no?

But back to your question, I don't have any experiance with the tech 21 sansmp but from what I've read they are good for a nice alternate to a warm tube like sound.

A cheaper unit would be the floor model it goes for around like 200$ or something?

Heres a link to it, http://www.music123.com/Tech-21-Sans-Amp-Programable-Bass-Driver-DI-i159984.music

I think it is the same thing as the rackmount version, it's just not rackmountable.

-Rob

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Mine only is noisy when the Blend or Prescence controls are fairly high. The blend adds "fullness", but annihilates your mids; which are needed it you want to cut through.

For rock it is a great, cheap preamp and very versatile. For a slapaholic, I'd recommend a SWR head or a more sterile preamp.

5. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well, those are the cabs that I have now, and since I use the same rack between the two, for loud rock the Avatar's seem to come through a little better. As a complete rig though, I need something to help clear up the bands' sound, without spending a ton of money. something warmer, more mid range and cutting without being harsh seems to be the direction I need to go.

I forgot about the B-max, I'll look into those as well...

6. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks for the input, but are you running the RBI? I was wondering how it, with a mid control would compare to the BDDI pedal without the mid. The BDDI does seem to scoop the tone a lot, but most reports say that it gives a good representation of a warm tube sound. How can it do both?

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes it's used on my stack. I'm at college currently so I left it at home.

Never used the BDDI. Sorry.

Mainly because most people consider the SVT stack to be "the" tube tone. As a head the SVT (or really any tube head) is a warmer tone, than say a SWR, as a cab the SVT810 has a huge mid spike. I imagine they are considering the tone of the head and not the cab.

8. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well,you might look into the kustom groove 1200. i just drove 50 minutes (one way) to some store in the middle of nowhere just to try that head becasue of the rave reviews it was getting, and i must say, it was definitly worth it. that head had an amazing warm/clean yet modern tone, close to a tube sound but its all solid state. AND it has a TON of power. 750 watts @ 4ohms or 1200 watts @ 2ohms. ide definitly reccomend checkin one out.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've been using either a SABDDI or a Fishman Pro Platinum till my iamp gets back. The SABDDI scoops the mids if you turn the blend up past 12:00. Also destroys the tone of your bass IMO (you are now playing the pedal vs. playing the bass). As long as I keep the blend at 12:00 or lower my mids still punch through just fine. I use the peizo/clean setting in the manual as a starting reference and VERY slightly change controls from there if needed. The presence control is supposedly boost only, but the SABDDI sucks out some of the high end when engaged, so I wind up keeping it at 01:00 or so.

Never used a RBI, but by getting the SABDDI you could either use it inline with whatever head/pre you are now using or use it as your pre.