Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any reason not to do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eilif, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So,
    I love the sound of my ampeg portabass pb250 head, but I want more noise. As I mentioned, the preamp sounds just fine to me so here is what I figured I could do....

Send the Line out into a carvin DCM1000

Use the DCM 1000 power (1000W bridged 4 ohms, 700W bridged 8 ohms)

Either a steelsound 4x10 (800 watts at 8 ohms)

or 2 steelsound 2x12's (each cab is 600 into 4 ohms)

Would this work?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Forget the extra amp, just get speakers with higher sensitivity. Watts are meaningless.

3. Ha... I just posted on another thread how much I appreciate your posts... however, this time I slightly disagree... I love lot's of watts through an efficient cab. I understand that watts are not the main driver, versus a larger cab to push more air or a more efficient cab... but all things being equal... when you are thumping on that E string... I like 800 watts better than 200 :bassist:

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think the portabass cab and it's neodymium speakers are pretty efficient and sensitive, I just want to put to gether a rig with alot more headroom than the 250 watts I have now. My basic question is this.

Can I use a Carvin pro audio poweramp for a bass poweramp?

5. Heh, okay. You bring a Bassman 50, I'll bring my CA9 and we'll have a race.

6. YES (seen as no one else answered)

you maybe wanna check the line out though. some amps disable the internal power amp (maybe you want this) when using the line out, i doubt ampeg would do this though.

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks,
    I will check the line out on my amp and see if it disables the pre.
    Just to double check there is no reason not to use a proaudio poweramp for a bass rig? I am not doubting, I just wanted to check again.
    Karl