Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any reason NOT to wipe strings with alcohol?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cb56, Mar 12, 2005.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've been doing this since reading some threads about 6 months ago about using alcohol wipes on strings. I first tried it with some TI Super Alloy's. I liked the strings right out of the package because they already sounded broken in, but the combination of TI's and alcohol didn't make them last any longer than the EB Slinky's I was using on my other bass. My EB slinky's haven't been lasting all that long either wiping with alcohol. I've recently discovered D'addario XL's that I like alot and will see how long they last. I'd like to get 2 or 3 months out of a set if I can. Anyway, since I'm not really noticing a huge improvement in stringlife by wiping with alcohol, I was just curious if I should keep doing this or not? By any chance is the alcohol removing a protective coating on the stings or something?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Alcohol is efficient when you dip. I'm not sure wiping with alcohol is much more efficient than a plain old cloth.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

Wiping with alcohol removes the surface dirt. To get the stuff down in the windings, you need to soak.

4. Laziness has always been enough reason for me.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Alcohol wipes, when in contact with the Fretboard will dry it out.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Good point. I should mention that I always wrap the alcohol wipe around the string and run it up and down the string without touching the fretboard.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you play coated strings like Elixirs the alcohol takes the coating off with the dirt.