Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any reason not too do this

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've been wanting to put a neck pickup in my p'bass. I really like the sound of the old fender 70's tele basses with a pickup right at the neck. I have an old peavey super ferrite pickup from a now ruined early model fury that I want to use. I am going wire it like a jazz bass with the P pickup which is a SD quarter pounder.
    Is their any reason not to do this?
    Should I wire it differently?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    I am not good at reading electrical schematics, but I can follow pictorial wiring diagrams like the ones fender offers. (I used one to wire my homebuilt Jazz.)

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    If you get the placement correct for the 70s tele bass, I don't see why you SHOULDN'T do this. I kind of like the idea myself, although I wonder if the position is actually going to interfere with the p-bass pickup (the "neck" position that you're referring to isn't as far up as you may think). I say go for it, but I am a crazy mad scientist type at heart anyway.

:hyper:

HOWEVER, I would recommend NOT using the super ferrite pickup for MANY reasons. That pickup will require a fairly large route, and it also will not give you anything like the sound that you like from the tele. Part of the reason that you like the sound is that it comes from a vintage wound single coil pickup. Keep in mind also, that you'll be destroying ANY resale value that this bass may have (might not be a real concern, but it is a fact). Just some things to consider.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the suggestions, a question though...
    Are you saying that the humbucker shaped pickup on the 70's tele basses was actually a single coil?

Note: I am not talking about the 51 reissues that were labeled telecaster basses, I'm talking about the bass from the same series that had the same neck, body and color, but had a large oblong shaped pickguard and a humbucker right near the neck.

The reason I was considering the ferrite is that I thought it would have the sonic "girth" of the old tele humbucker, but also perhaps a bit more clarity than the muddy, muddy sound that the tele humbucker has.

I'm not to worried about the routing, because if the ferrite doesn't work out, I will just put a humbucker (maybe a dimarzio model 1 a la billy shean.) in it's place. Also, I will never sell my MIM because it was my first bass.

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    im doing the same thing to my p bass right now actually, but i have a jazz at the bridge too and a selector switch as well. its going pretty well, i got a nice new pup slot that fits the new pickup im putting in almost perfectly. and its all concealed under the pickguard so if the new pickup does interfere with the p bass pups as Robert suggests then you can just take it out and replace the pickguard and nobody will be the wiser. ill post some picks of my bass once the wiring is done.

btw. its sheehan, not shean- we share the same last name. ;)

5. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I can't say that I am familiar with any humbucker in an early Fender bass. This just isn't something I've ever seen. If you cold post a pic or a link, I'd be very interested. :)

I am however familiar with the Billy Sheehan bass, and yeah, the Super Ferrite might not be a bad start for that. You'll still not get the humbucker tone out of a Super Ferrite. FWIW I really like the Super Ferrite pickups, having owned a couple Peaveys, I was really impressed with them. If you are going for the humbucker thing tho, you should really head over to the dudepit (http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit) and check out the DarkStar pickup discussion.

Whatever you choose, I think that this will be an awesome project!

:bassist:

6. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Well, after some searching, I have come across some examples of the 70s tele with a humbucker right at the neck. You learn something new every day....

I am adjusting my thoughts on this. I think that this might be worth a shot (if the routing doesn't bother you). Since you've got the pickup aroud, you may as well try it out. Definitely check out the DarkStar discussion, the word IS that those pickups are AMAZING and I really think that it would give you the vintage vibe sound you're going for (just my opinion of course).

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that a darkstar or two would be incredible. I've been drooling over dark star pickups for a while...
    Origionally I wanted to put a pair of them in my pbass, but they I saw the cost and realized that it isn't in my realistic budget right now, hence the new project of making do with what I have.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    What kind of pickup are you putting in the neck position, and what is your control setup?

That reminds me .... I once played a bass at GC that was a modded 70's Jazz with a ric pickup in the neck, a p in the middle, and a jazz in the bridge, with 3 switches, a volume and a tone. It also had an extended fingerboard, a deepened lower route, and a aftermarket cherry burst paintjob, It sounded great, even if it looked a bit frankenbass.

9. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    how was the tone on that bass Eilif? i thought of putting a rick pup in the neck of mine but instead i settled for SD quarter pound single coil, just to keep it all fender style.

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    the tone of the ric pickup alone was kind of like the 70's tele humbucker I described earlier, but a bit clearer. With the p and ric, it sounded like a pbass with more bottom, and with all three it sounded like a super p more thud, and a bit more snap. pretty predictable really, but I really liked the overall tonal effect. But keep in mind that I gravitate toward thumpy round bass (dub) bass tone with high mids taken out at the amp, and highs muted on the bass tone knob.

With my project, I hope to make a pbass that I can put rounds on (right now my pbass has flats) and still get that round thump when I want it by emphasizing the neck pickup.