Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any reason why 115 cabinets are always on the bottom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Jan 16, 2004.

1. i just bought a eden d115 to go along with my old peavey 410txf. generally when i've seen setups with 410's and a 115 the 115 has always been on the bottom, is there any reason for this?

the reason i ask is that the eden 115 is a bit smaller that the 410 and i'm not sure how safe it will be to the bigger cab on top.

2. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The usual reason is that since the cabinet with the 15" driver is expected to be providing a bit more extended low end, it gets set on the floor for the additional bass reinforcement from the reflecting surface. This also raises the 4x10 cabinet to ear level, or close to it, which will almost always help you hear yourself much better.

But if the cabinets are of sufficiently different sizes as you say, then it might be a bad idea.

And of course, a cabinet with a single 15 should not automatically be assumed to have more low end than a cabinet with four 10s.

3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would think that because most 15s are at least the same size, if not bigger, than the cabs with multiple small speakers in a companies' production line.
    Also, The lower the frequency, the less directive the output of the speakers is. Some people like to get a 10" up off of the ground, and usually facing them so they get more of the midrange directed at their head. 15s can have great midrange too, but in general, a 10 will handle the mids with a little more punch and clarity than a 15, but it depends on the cabinate and speaker. It is all about getting the mids up, instead of pointing at your ankles.
    Wes

4. helpful info, thanks guys. :D

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Definitely put the smaller cab on top! As you said, safer that way. It's doubtful that anyone will notice any difference.

FWIW, the cabinet on the bottom usually sounds bassier regardless. A few years ago I was using a pair of very similar SWR Goliath Jr III cabs stacked. Just for grins I A/B'd 'em and noticed the one on the bottom had more lows. So I swapped the cabs, and again, the cab on the bottom had more lows.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I use my 15 on top of my 4X10. Better mids.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have a Berg 210/115 pair and Jim Bergantino recommends putting the 115 on top. Not sure why...

8. Fuzzbass

Thanks for passing that along, I'll have to try it! Maybe Jim's reasoning is that the HT210 produces lower frequencies than the HT115, but that's just a guess.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've done this same experiment and decided that a big reason for the change in sound is because the cab on the bottom is firing all the mids and highs through your legs. The cab on the top is firing those same frequencies at your ears.

If you didn't do it before, try it again but crouch down so that your ears are roughly level with the centre of the speaker column. There is still a difference but it's not as pronounced.

10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Thanks, everyone. I've always been wondering about this too.

11. Fuzzbass

Yup, I did crouch because I was surprised to hear a difference. I definitely agree that the difference wasn't huge, though... I didn't mean to overstate it.

12. Fuzzbass

Oh, at Friday night's gig I tried out Jim Bergantino's suggestion noted above. Well sort of... his advice was to place the 1x15 over the 2x10. I placed my 1x15 over my 3x10. :p

Anyway: the result was slightly disconcerting because I'm used to hearing the punchy tens on top, and instead the slightly looser attack of the fifteen was dominant. But overall, output seemed to be a little tighter compared to the other times I've played this room with the fifteen on the bottom.

FWIW, the band maintained a better gig volume that night, but I'm not about to say that my bass rig had anything to do with that!

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Last night I used the Bergantino 115/210 pair for the first time. I had the 15 on top as Jim suggests and I found the same thing as Fuzzbass. The slow attack of the 15 dominated. It sounded nice and I actually prefer that with the swell/thump of the upright notes but it made my jazz bass sound a little smoothed over. I usually use the 210 as a stand alone so Im used to more punch. Next time I will try the 15 on the bottom.