1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any reason why I shouldn't buy a....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by denton57, Mar 10, 2008.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    2008 American Standard Jazz? I played a P version today and it was awesome! Light and resonant. I loved it. I am fixing to buy...anyone found any negatives? This will also be my absolute first sunburst bass ever! Never wanted a SB one, but as I age I am being drawn to them. I almost wanted to buy the P it played so nice (it was SB, too), but I am a jazz guy.

2. jwoiton

jwoiton

Jun 21, 2005
    Dallas area
    I got a 2004 MIA Jazz bass and I love it. The only negative that I have about it is that the bottom is sloped and if you lean it back against anything (your amp, a wall) if falls over. You got to keep a stand handy with it.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. No reason at all.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I am a BCR nut and I am in love with the upgrades for the new AS basses. There is no downside...except that they are not 24 frets. Damn.

5. Pretty good basses with lots of new features and a nice case. I would just make sure you try a few to find a good one. Twist all the knobs and give them a good workout. I tried two the other day at a store and one of them was bit of a dog. The bridge pup had about 1/2 the output of the neck pup. The other bass was pretty great though, just in a color I didn't care for.

6. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Thats funny. This post is about the new American Standards but one reason I dont like my hwy 1 is that it wont sit in a guitar stand without sliding out! That nitro finish is slick! Its a good bass but the headstock is bright white, no case, pickups are just ok, ect.. Just little things, but..

7. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Im buying online, so I will be taking a chance I guess. I was wondering if the QC of these were so good that it would lessen the chance of getting a dog. The P I picked up at GC was great, they just didnt have any jazzes. In fact, nobody online has any oly white or SB w/rosewood that I could find in stock! Must be good stuff!

8. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    That is the best possible answer to that question

Although I would get the P rather than the J...

9. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Get both. :bassist: