Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThebassNoob, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    Hey all.. been a while since i have been here.. i have been playing bass for a while now and have been thinking lately about moving up from a 4 string to a 5. I know there are some hardcore bass players out there, and i know that a bunch of you have played a lot of basses. Any reccomendations for a second bass?

:bassist:

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Your sig states "funds for a new bass, $200 out of ???"
    does that mean you have $200 bucks to spend, or have $200 saved and need to know how much more to save-up??
    Let us know exactly what your budget is, and what kind of music you are looking to play......

3. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    it means $200 out of $____, meaning i dont know what my goal is yet.. i am playing everything from Metal, to Funk, to Blues... (i have a strange taste in styles) but yes, if anyone could help me out on this it would be VERY apreciated.

*EDIT*
    the price range i can probably afford sometime here in the next few months is around $400 - $700

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Go try out some basses and see what you are comfortable with. In your price range I'm leaning toward a mid grade Fender Jazz. It's very versitile and can be uprgraded later with "off the shelf" parts if you wish...

5. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    thanks man, any model in specific for those fender jazz? (so i can go test em out at some music shops)

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    As far as new basses are concerned, the Deluxe active V is in your projected price range..The quality and playability of production line basses can vary greatly and unless you've played a really good 5-string, it's not guaranteed that you'll spot a bad one..Be carefull, don't get a "lemon"..

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say go get a used RB5 (Fender Artist Series Roscoe Beck V) if you're going this route, its an amazing bass for the buck. Problem is it might be hard for you to find one in a store to try, I haven't really seen many in stores.

8. i could reccommennd a spel chequer
    or a Cort Curbow, MTD Kingston if you want the bass sooner rather than later

but it's better to wait longer and get the one bass that'll keep you happy than buy one now and want another in a year... so try out as many as you can at all price ranges

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Again I have to suggest the G&L Tribute L-2500.

10. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Try a used Carvin. Great construction and playability, and you can get them cheap - $300.00 to $500.00!

11. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    alright, i shall look into the ones that are in my price range.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You could get a new custom Carvin B5 for $700 or under.

13. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    i keep seeing carvin.. are carvin's really that good??

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Carvin instruments are very well made and use great woods. The only thing people seem to complain about is the pickups/electronics. I briefly played another bassist's Carvin and dug it. It didn't wow me, but it was very solid and sturdy.

For a 5-string in the under $700 price range, there are quite a few good basses. Someone mentioned the MTD Kingston and Heir basses. I've yet to try one of those, but MTDs are said to be of excellent quality.

Ibanez has some nice 5ers in the Soundgear, SRX, and BTB line. Ibanez basses may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they do have an extensive selection of 5 and 6 string basses in their various lines.

Peavey's Fury line is terrific- I loved the Fury 6. Looks, feels, and sounds like a much more expensive instrument.

Look into some Yamaha fivers too. Yamaha tends to use wider necks than Ibanez, which are often more comfortable and allow easier slap/pop. My housemate has a Yamaha BB series 5 and it's a terrific bass.

And if you're not averse to buying a used instrument, you can get some nice higher end gear preowned, since resale values on a lot of basses take a hit.

15. ThebassNoob

ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Nebraska
    yeah, thanks for all that info.. i have kinda been looking towards a Fender Jazz.. with the classic looks if possibly with my funds. (i have found some at a local music store today for around $550.)

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My opinion is yes...they are that good.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I were looking for a five string in that price range, I would check out an MTD Kingston, MTD Heir, or G&L Tribute L2500. If you can stretch your budget to $700 + tax, the Lakland 55-01 is a great bargain.

18. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Another vote for the G&L Tribute L2500. It will cover alot of sonic territory and it's a heck of a bargain!

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am one of the guys in the anti-Carvin group. I bought a bass from them from the In-Stock section on their website. It was a Koa/Koa LB75 with a birdseye maple fretboard. Really beautiful. But, when I got it, the action was about a mile off the fretboard. Even after a few days of letting the neck settle, I couldn't get the neck to adjust properly. No matter what I did, it would barely budge. I took it to my tech and he looked down the neck and told me to send it back. Not only that, but the bass buzzed horribly, sounded like it wasn't even grounded. The volume pot was sratchy and the bass pot stuck really badly. I wasn't even that impressed with the tone. Nothing useful to my ears, and pretty bland. That could've been the wood combo though.

I know that I could've sent it back and they would've either sent a replacement even though this was an in-stock bass. But, after all the hype I heard about these basses, to get one that had slipped through QC that badly, that's all it took for me not to give them another chance. Like they say, first impressions are everything.