Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any recent reviews/users of the BBE BMax-T Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 12, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my Sansamp Bass Driver for a preamp. I've done a search and found lots of praise for it when it came out but haven't been reading much about it lately (last couple months). Has anyone here recently purchased one and how do you like it compared to other preamps you've tried? I'm looking for a warmer sound and definitely prefer the sound of the tube model over the solid state one as heard on basstasters.com.

Oh yeah; they're only $430 with shipping from RiksMusic.com. :ninja:

2. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I just scored on on ebay and will have it next week. I'll let you know what I think of it after I have a few days to play with it.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got the BMax T along with a SansAmp RBI. I think the RBI is more versatile, but can't sound just like the BMax. I've only played through the BMax w/my Ray5 [maple board, currently wearing fresh GHS Boomer 5 light gauge]. I won't say that one is better than the other-just different. I can get a nice sound that sits pretty well in the mix with either. Something i had a fun time messing with is the variable mids on the BMaxT. Those two little knobs kept me amused and intrigued for awhile. I like having the option of boosting the low mids, high mids, or just well-the mids. It doesn't do an all out "drive" tone the same way the RBI does-but that isn't really a bad thing. I can get a nice edge to the sound of my ray5 depending on how i have the EQs + drive set. I do think the sound is versatile enough to work, yet i haven't been able to get drastically different from the basic sound of the unit.

If i get the chance-i'll plug my Fender Jazz [4 string, rosewood board w/several year old GHS Brite flats] in to compare the variety of sounds when i get the chance.

Are there any specific questions you have about the unit? If so-either contact me on AIM or ask them here. That's all