Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any recommendations for a cab for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chap, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I've been looking in to many different brands of cabinents that I want to get. I'm thinking of spending around $1000 to $1500. I really have no idea on what I want to get. So I'm open to any recommendations. So then, what are you're recommendations? (I play metal, hardcore music.) Thanks. Chap.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Pick up 2 Ampeg SVT410HLF's. Very punchy, superb lows, and they fit into your pricerange. Also, with 2 4x10's, you have the versatility of being able to use just one cab for smaller gigs/stages.

I have this setup, powered by an SVT4 Pro head, and I play everything from country to classic rock to funk to metal to punk to you name it.

EDIT: I just reread your post. Are looking for just speakers, or complete cabinets?? If you are looking for raw frame speakers without the cabs, ignore what I wrote above.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'd go with the SVT610HLF or 1 or 2 SVT410HLF's like said above.

4. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    You guys don't think that I should go with 4X10's and a 15" or 18"? Thats what seems to be traditionally used.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I tried out that combo in the store (SVT410HLF atop a SVT115HE). To me, it didn't sound good at all. The 410 puts out better bottom than the 15 does, IME. It seemed to me that all the 15 did was muddy up the sound.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I always thought the common thing for hardcore/metal was nothing but 10's... I could be wrong but I always see metal bands with SVT810HE's... I like 15's if you do go for it. It's your choice not ours. Try stuff out if you can.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Which amp are you or will you be running? I find it hard to see how anyone could recommend cabs without knowing which amp. :confused: The other thing you need to consider is portability. Do you have a team of roadies and a 16 wheeler, or does it need to fit in the trunk of your Pinto? :eek: :D :rolleyes:

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Ampeg BXT410HL..

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would recommend the Ampeg SVT410HLF as well. Great sounding cabinet. I would also recommend the SWR Goliath III. It is a fantastic cab with very clear highs, and tight lows.

10. I would highly recommend a SWR Goliath III. I love that cab. Very clean and it will definately cut through the mix well with the midrange it's produces. Probably the best damn cabinet I've got.

It depends what your tastes in sound are....but I would say that a trial would definately be in order. What kind of bass are you using and what are you going to use to power the cabinet?

-insighted

11. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I play an Ibanez SR800 bass. I also need to get a head, and a cabinet. I might go for 8X10's or 6X10s of Ampeg of SWR. The Ampeg 8X10 (SVT 810E) That cab can handle 1600 watts Program Handling, and 800 RMS (What does RMS mean?) Does that mean I need a head that can handle 800 or 1600 watts?:confused:

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you can get a head that pushes 1600 watts.. just don't turn it up all the way.. its good to have headroom

13. Considering your budget, I would go with something like your 8X10 in either ampeg or swr.

But if you have to buy the cabinet AND the head (which powers the cabinet) in under $1500 you may be limited in what you can choose from head wise if your set on a 8X10.

Do you need that much sound?

If you want to stay within your budget I would probably suggest a Goliath III 4x10......(700W RMS) and maybe a good size head. You can shop around with the extra $700 you have left over or maybe even consider the power amp/preamp route.

Musician's Friend............that's all I really need to say.....musiciansfriend.com

As for the RMS thing........The acronymn escapes me at the moment but it's basically the average load that your cabinet is capable of handling safely. This rule is not set in stone of course as many of the people on talkbass can testify that they have and often do go past that rating. But anyway, best of luck and shop around.

--Insighted

14. I personally run an swr son of bertha 15 with a horn, and a swr 4x10 with my GK 700 RB head. it is a pretty bitchin setup if you ask me. the other thing that i would advise is the Ernie Ball musicman audiophile bass gear. that is some sweet stuff. the bottom cab is a 600 watt 2x12 with a 6 inch mid, and the top cab could be a 4x10 with a tweeter. it doesnt get any better then that!!! if you are looking into getting a head, Galien Kruger is some pretty good stuff, and you can ge it for a very reasonable price. if you have any questions or something, post them.
    -Rob