1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any recommendations for low tension sixer (35") strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by big bad bass, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I have switched to a beautiful Yamaha TRB-6II lately. Before, I had a 34" Warwick Streamer LX-6 and was used to playing a .032 to .130 Elixir set. On a standard scale the tension was alright but on a 35" scale it feels like playing on a fence.
    Now I've tried a set of even lighter Pyramid Rockbass (.027 to .126) which feels even worse.

Can anyone recommend some low tension stuff that still sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You may want to look into 4 string lighter gauge super long scale sets and adding a low-B and High-C. Usually there arent that many "Super Long" options for 6 string basses and if there are, they are 45-105 w/ .030/.032 / .130/.135

Unfortunately Elixir does not give as many Extra Long options...

To be a little more specific:

For example, grab a .040-.095 4 string super long set and add a .028 High-C and a .125 Super Long Low-B

You can also explore other types of strings, Round Core as opposed to Hex Core for example.

There are a lot of options out there, just not ore-packaged in 6 string "sets"

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I use DR Sunbeams on my 35" scale Spector. Sunbeams are lower than normal tension, and I use the 40-100 set with a .130 B added. The tension is perfect for me. Like Jason said, just add your C string and you're good to go.

You can put together a custom set here:
    DR SUNBEAMS Build your own Custom String Set!

Be sure to register and include you are a talk bass member in the comments and he will set you up as a vip for special discounts automatically :)

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    What's "A fortune"?

I'd recommend the Circle K Balanced 130 set. .130 .098 .073 .055 .039 .028

The E-string should feel about like a .095 at the 35" scale.

5. Thanks to all for your replies :)
    I think I will have a go on the DR ones (we don't get Circle K anywhere around). The price is still reasonable, even though I don't understand why strings in Germany cost about almost twice as much as in the US...

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    DR Strings are manufacturers in the states... Any reseller in the states or internationally needs to purchase from DR directly...

Freight charges internationally are not cheap... They can add easily 50% to the cost of a string set depending on quantity shipped, not counting import duties and taxes, VAT, and anything else they may tack on to the bill...

:-/

7. Yeah, that explains it...

8. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I have used many strings with varying tensions, and to date...i use the Circle K .124 set for my Elrick 6xer..it has the lightest feel with no loss of fundimentals...close second is the Fodera .120 set .

9. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    A custom set of single strings 130 95 70 50 35 25 makes a light and tension balanced set. Medium-light would be 135 100 75 55 40 27/28.

10. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    another vote for circle k. they have tension charts for their strings as that's part of what drives them. check 'em out.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good choice on DR :)

12. Circle K look interesting but shipping to FRG costs as much as a set of strings. We don't get them in Germany, so I'd rather go for DR.

Thanks mates, I really appreciate your input :)
    I owe the fact that I found the bass of my dreams to this forum!

13. Hiya,

Just to let you know... got my DR strings today and they are awesome!

Thanks again for the recommendation,
    Henrik

14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    If you ever want to experiment, Pyramid also makes custom orders

15. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, the company owner already told me so and I'm waiting for hom zo send me a

16. Oops... ;-)

To send me a set of X-Lite in exchange.