Any recommendations on how to mute the b string in a 5 string bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Daniel Panus, May 27, 2021.

1. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    This perhaps?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Oh man, not sure i have ever seen so much failure to read the OP's posts or unsuitable advice to do what they specified they do not want to do =)
    There is no shame in using single string muting devices.

A narrow strip of velcro (fluffy loop side) under the B between nut and 1st fret? (like a tapping instrument). This mutes while leaving all notes from fret 2 upwards still playable.

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    As someone who didn't go along with the letter of the OP's request, I'll explain why.

IMO it's not "unsuitable" advice to tell the OP something that is at a tangent to his request. The OP asks for ideas and IMO that opens up the discussion. Improving his technique might not be the only way to achieve what the OP wants to do, and while it's not the easiest route, in the long term it could be the best way. The OP is always going to make the final choice but maybe a different suggestion could be a "light bulb" moment and help him in a way he didn't anticipate.

Les Fret and 12BitSlab like this.
  4. beatmachine pro

beatmachine pro

Jun 13, 2021
    its just a matter of experience, you can thumb mute the b easily enough
    but its only ringing cause hes hitting the string or fingerboard

i never really had an issue with it i just adapted

i played with foam under the strings at the bridge
    that helped generally tighten up ringing strings

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021