Any Recording Secrets/Tips ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Jun 28, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    Hey everyone... my band is going into the studio in couple weeks, and I was just wondering if anyone here had any tips or secret tactics that they use (and would be willing to share!) when they are recording.

2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    make sure you can play your songs perfectly, a couple of times in a row. this sounds like silly advice, but each time you have to restart a song, or do an overdub because someone messed up, it costs you. it might only be a minute or 2 each time, but if you mess up a lot, that adds up, and you just waste time. know what kind of sound you are looking for in the finished project, and if possible, when mixing, only let one person be in the room to mix it. mixing with the whole band leaves room for all sorts of suggestions, and that creates arguments. believe me, i know. entrust the mixing part to the person in the band who has the clearest idea of what the finished product should sound like. another note on mixdown, if at all possible, i would recomment waiting to mix until a week or so after youve finished all tracking/overdubs. never mix the same day, its guaranteed that you will miss a lot of things that should be corrected; number one, because youre used to the songs, and number 2, because your ears are shot. taking a week off, and listening to the cd quite a bit, and taking notes on errors, sounds, etc etc, is highly beneficial, and you will be glad you did so when you receive the final product. tracking songs with as many people as possible will usually yield better results, from what ive found. tracking together means a tighter sound on tape(if your band is tight to begin with, that is), because you will all be able to feel the music together. eye contact is a big thing as well. if youve not worn headphones before while playing, that can take some getting used to, and be prepared to deal with an inadequate headphone mix. try to have your amps set up beforehand so you dont waste a lot of time on getting sounds. a big thing for me is making sure my bass sounds mesh well with the drum kit. if they dont, the song can tend to sound much looser. eh, i could go on and a search online for recording tips as well, there are a lot of good sites(just none i can think of off-hand right now) hope these help, and good luck recording:)