Any recordings with the Sunn 300T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnbegone, Apr 13, 2005.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm interested in buying a tube amp, but I've always been a guy who likes to be different. Everyone I know plays either an Ampeg SVT classic OR an SVT-4Pro through an Ampeg 8x10, and that's just a boring setup. I'm interested in the Sunn line of bass amps, but haven't ever played on for myself. Does anyone out there know of any recordings that feature this amp (or any other Sunn tube amps)? Also, if anyone has one of these amps, give me your opinion on it.

I play in a loud indie rock band. I've always been a fan of the classic SVT sound but lately have been trying to be more original with my bass playing (expirementing with pedals, etc).

thanks everyone
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    The Ox has some pretty good sounding recordings of his Sceptre on the forum here playing some good old favorites. just runa search for sceptre and it'll pop up.

Edit: here ya go

Whenever I get back to the studio I'll record some tracks with my Sunn Sorado (60watts) I got in the mail today. I might try to make some with my mp3 players on-board mic when I get my 15 back from my practice space.

You really can't go wrong with that 300T which is now the Fender Bassman 300 Pro if you wanna check the specs. The 300T isn't an original sunn amp it is one made by Fender but it will still sound awesome. Just not as collectable as the originals from the 60's and 70's.

If you buy it make some clips I'm curious about it as well since it has so many dials and possibilities!

Again if you buy it. Welcome to the cul...I mean group of Sunn owners :)

For more sunn info check out theses great sites.

Rich chimes in every once and awhile on here and he is somewhat of the Sunn guru.
  3. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for all the input, it is most appreciated. Yeah, I though the 300T was the reissue, but that's fine with me. The Sunn badge by itself is unique enough for me, but I love vintage gear, so I might look around for something old (my cab is from the 70's). I guess I could find a Fender dealer with the bassman 300 and that would work well for testing out purposes.

Anyone else want to talk about Sunn amps with me? :)
  4. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    The bass player from the band Clutch has been using Sunn
    the last few times I've seen em, as well as in their videos-
    I'm not sure if its newer or vintage gear, or it translates
    on their records-
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i believe jimmy hendrix' bass player noel redding used a sunn tube amp as well as 4 sunn 15's. i believe he had two 2x15 cabs.

6. Yes Dan Maines does use a Sunn 300T I was about 4 feet away from it last year...its loud. However I don't think he uses it to record the albums. If you want to hear some samples try downloading some of the videos on their website

I think he is using that amp on the clips of La Curandera, Dig a Slow Hole to China, The Promoter, Willie Nelson and Worm Drink. If you really want to hear what it sound like though I have some great bootleg copies of a Bakerton Group set (Clutch without the singer) where Dan and his 300T really shine.
    BTW I have also seen Clutch at bigger venues and Dan actually runs a 300T and an SVT through 2 8x10s and that is just a whole other experience!
  7. blindbass

Jun 14, 2005
    The Sunn 300T is a great bass head. I've had mine for over a year now and thought I might pass along a few observations:

With fresh tubes, (I have SED 6550C's in mine), there is an insane amount of headroom, BUT this sucker will eat cabs alive. It will push 2 810's with relative ease so I advise having at least one large cab under it. Also, avoid biasing it too hot: you'll practically never need (or be able) to overdrive the power section (especially as it already has the dirty channel). Have a fan installed unless you need a space-heater.

Those more immediate concerns aside, let's talk about tone. This is the perfect head for earthquaking lows and crisp over the top highs but the mids can be tricky to dial in. I wish it had a dedicated passive or active sweep mid. Without the mid-notch engaged, it is very mid heavy and then the only way to tone it down is to engage the graphic eq. With the mid-notch engaged, it takes away that SVT growl and in a live mix, it's sometimes difficult to cut through in a toneful way. However, the versatility of tone this amp delivers is unmatched perhaps due to this range between too much and too little mid: a compromise can be found with patience.

This is a very transparent sounding amp that will bring out both the good and the bad in your bass and your playing. Do yourself a huge favor and either change out your stock pickups with something better or get a bass that compliments the amp. I use a standard jazz bass with a badass II bridge and Fralin PU's and it sounds amazing for very little money invested. Active basses sound wonderfully full and rich but easily overdrive the clean channel. Coincidently, the clean channel doesn't sound good overdriven, but you can get some killer sounds from the dirty channel that make up for this.

Not sure if that helps you but one hardly sees anything about this amp and it's good to know about gear before rushing to buy it. Having this head gets me compliments at every show and does make me glad I didn't go with the "usual setup".
  8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have acquired the SUNN 300t recently and did few rehearsals and one gig so far. Man, I am totally satisfied with it. It has growl, and the clean channel makes it for a great slap Tone too !!! The Head is indeed very, but very powerful. I use it with a 8X8 Cabinet rated at 800 watts and it handles it well, but I could easily add another 8X10 no problem I am sure. This is a perfect head for someone who wants versatility from an all tube amp. I am so happy I finally found that amp !!! :hyper: