Any Reverend bass fans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jan 8, 2002.

1. I know I posted a G&L fan thread, but I'm also interested in the Reverend Rumblefish basses. What are the pros and cons? Are they good for slap? I appreciate any responses. Thanks.:)
  2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    While they didn't seem to set the bass world on fire, they are great basses. If you can get by the non-traditional materials and looks, they are a very comfortable bass to play & well balanced. Very light-weight! The necks feel fantastic (like an old, worn in fender). The metal armrest looks like it would be uncomfortable, but it's not.

Regarding sound, I can get a nice Jazz-like growl out of it and (probably because of the semi-hollow body) you can get really get some nice bottom.

I have a Rumblefish 4 & 5, as well as
    several "boutique" basses. I play the 4-string (especially) quite often. I believe they have discontinued the "laminate" tops and are only making the "metal" tops. I've seen a few dealers closing these out for $500 or less.

While it doesn't slap as sweet as the Lakland or Smith, it's surely respectable. Also depends on the strings you use.

Comes down to personal taste in cosmetics. If you have an open mind to appearances and like a "Jazz-ish" sound, I think you'd be very content with a Rumblefish.
  3. Thanks bass-only. I have tried one out before in a store, and I liked it. It played and sounded great! However, that particular dealer was selling them for retail!:rolleyes: Bass Northwest has great prices on their basses, and it wouldn't take forever for me to save up!;)
  4. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    You're welcome!

If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me. Try posting a "bass wanted" thread and see how you do!

Good luck!
  5. I would, but it will probably be a few months before I'll have the money.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own a 5L.

The necks are the best part of the design, just super comfortable.

Easiest way to describe a Reverend is "vintage J inspired" in both how it plays and how it sounds.

The "XL" wiring (now standard I think) is cool. Instead of the JBass V/V/T setup you get master volume and tone and a switch that gives you both pickups in parallel, bridge only (the 2 classic JBass tones) and both pickups in series (fatter sound, more like a Precision or a StingRay).

I personally find it unfortunate that they discontinued the non-metal tops as they were less expensive and I just don't care much for the look of the metal top.
  7. Well, I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but Rumblefish are great basses! My blue #47 is my main axe, and no matter how many times I've picked up something else for a few rehearsals or a gig, the 'Fish always winds up back at the top of the heap. Plays great, sounds terrific, looks cool.. what else is there? When I got mine in November of '98, I also had a Warwick Thumb neck-through 4, Modulus Flea Bass, G&L ASAT, '68 P, and a '72 J, among others. They're all gone now.
  8. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What I don't understand why they just don't offer both. Why would you not want a wide variety of options? That way you can potentially appeal to more customers.
  9. yes, i will testify. it rocks. you will not regret purchasing one.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I want one, dammit!!!:oops:
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Great basses, I regret not buying the one I demo'd a while back. The neck is awesome, and overall it's got a cool Jazz/Danelectro interspecies-mating-type vibe going on.
    A really fun bass.
  12. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    If anyone's interested, I'm selling my immaculate Navy-Blue (silver pickguard) 5L w/gigbag for $500. Just PM me if interested. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to try to sell it yet, so there's no rush on my part.

They really are great basses, and fit well with a variety of music. Good output, great neck, distinctive look, LIGHT, super sound. I've just got too many other favorites at the moment, so this one hasn't made it out of the gigbag in months.
    Very well-made, too!

Sorry for the commercial, back to "lurk" mode!
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    you should really post a picture of it!
  14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yes, they ROCK! Lightweight, fast-playin', TONE all day long. But put straplocks on because they don't take kindly to being dropped...
  15. Thanks petch. By the way, where is Hinkley located compared to Columbus?
  16. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Hey guys,

I put straplocks on mine right away, the first thing I do with all my basses.

If I ever get 10 minutes and a decent camera, I'll take some pictures of it. I think what surprised me when I bought mine (on-line) was how much better it looks "in person" than "in photo."
  17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yo 7770,
    Hinckley -'home of the buzzards' is southwest of Cleveland just a short way. Are you going to the g***tar show in Columbus Sunday? I will be there with my g***tar player...
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I am really dying to try one of the Reverend Brad Houser 5-strings. The pups and switching are very similar to the Fender Roscoe Beck V, which is one of my favorite basses. I realize the REverend will probably sound very different from the Fender, but I like a passive bass with versatile controls.

The Brad Houser also has Hipshot Ultralight tuners, with cloverleaf keys. But I especially like the playability numbers: 1-7/8" nut width, 3/4" spacing at bridge, 35" scale.

And yeah: I realize it's a "loud" finish, but that Engine Turn option really turns me on. :p Here's what I'm talkin' 'bout: a Rumblefish 5L with Engine Turn

19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks alot, Fuzzy!:eek: My GAS just went up 1000%!
  20. I tried one today, I really liked the feel and sound of it. It doesn't topple a Ric as my dream bass, but it's in second place now.