Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any rituals before you play???

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Jason Beers, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Watt,
    You have any rituals that you go through before you play a gig? Or superstitions up on stage? Myself, I have to listen to Black Betty by Ram Jam sometime the day of a show (talk about a wild wailer of some bass playing!) and always give a reassuring pat on the amp.

Just wonderin'...
    Jason

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

jason,

well, on tour I konk in the boat 'till just before it's time to go on. I do all the driving and I get tired. I also have trouble sleeping in after a night's rest so the pre-gig konks are vital so I can play my best.

on bass, watt

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You guys have me beat - I just make sure the Green Room has a beverage cart.

4. watt

jason,

"green room," "beverage cart" - man, you play some fancy pads!

on bass, watt

5. Rickbass is certainly living it up!

Maybe Watt needs to have a salsa/pepper cart...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not really anymore - that was in the "olden days" (although it still can happen occasionally in the nicest places).......back when promoters weren't mega-corporations & groupies actually knew how to cook breakfast.

Nowadays, the only consistent ritual is running my hands under hot water to get the blood flowing and signing the john walls. :rolleyes:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's what I was thinking. I'm lucky if someone gets me a Dr. Pepper.

8. watt

matt,

that stuff happens. getting to play though can be a great opportunity anyway!

on bass, watt

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh yeah, I'm more in it for the music... though I do love an ice cold Dr. Pepper now and then. :)

10. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Immediately pre-rock:
    One (1) cup coffee
    One (1) shot whisky-like substance

During:
    Water
    Whatever is handed up that is not some froo-froo mixed beverage (I learned this the hard way; ever had a Purple Hooter? Gah.)

Carte Blanche at the bar

11. watt

hi,

on receiving drinks while on stage:

be cautious of those drinks which claim to be kidney-filtered and appear to be at body temperature...

on bass, watt

12. yeah, that would end up giving a new meaning to the phrase "piss-bottle man". :eek:

13. watt

ceej,

what NEW meaning? that's 'pert-near the ONLY meaning!

on bass, watt

14. watt,

not if you're of the _gg allin_ mindset - then that would encompass intake rather than output! :eek:

ceej

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I like how little I knew about punk until I met my friend. I wouldn't have known who G.G. Allin is if it wasn't for him... I don't know how thankful I am that I know who G. G. is though. What a guy. :)

16. watt

ceej,

I don't know, gg allen seemed to have plenty of "output" (especially after mucho bran muffins and exlax before hitting [or should I say sh...] the stage).

on bass, watt