any rituals before you play???

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Jason Beers, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Watt,
    You have any rituals that you go through before you play a gig? Or superstitions up on stage? Myself, I have to listen to Black Betty by Ram Jam sometime the day of a show (talk about a wild wailer of some bass playing!) and always give a reassuring pat on the amp.

Just wonderin'...
    Jason

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

jason,

well, on tour I konk in the boat 'till just before it's time to go on. I do all the driving and I get tired. I also have trouble sleeping in after a night's rest so the pre-gig konks are vital so I can play my best.

on bass, watt

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You guys have me beat - I just make sure the Green Room has a beverage cart.

4. watt

jason,

"green room," "beverage cart" - man, you play some fancy pads!

on bass, watt

5. Rickbass is certainly living it up!

Maybe Watt needs to have a salsa/pepper cart...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not really anymore - that was in the "olden days" (although it still can happen occasionally in the nicest places).......back when promoters weren't mega-corporations & groupies actually knew how to cook breakfast.

Nowadays, the only consistent ritual is running my hands under hot water to get the blood flowing and signing the john walls. :rolleyes:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's what I was thinking. I'm lucky if someone gets me a Dr. Pepper.

8. watt

matt,

that stuff happens. getting to play though can be a great opportunity anyway!

on bass, watt

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh yeah, I'm more in it for the music... though I do love an ice cold Dr. Pepper now and then. :)

10. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Immediately pre-rock:
    One (1) cup coffee
    One (1) shot whisky-like substance

During:
    Water
    Whatever is handed up that is not some froo-froo mixed beverage (I learned this the hard way; ever had a Purple Hooter? Gah.)

Carte Blanche at the bar

11. watt

hi,

on receiving drinks while on stage:

be cautious of those drinks which claim to be kidney-filtered and appear to be at body temperature...

on bass, watt

12. yeah, that would end up giving a new meaning to the phrase "piss-bottle man". :eek:

13. watt

ceej,

what NEW meaning? that's 'pert-near the ONLY meaning!

on bass, watt

14. watt,

not if you're of the _gg allin_ mindset - then that would encompass intake rather than output! :eek:

ceej

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I like how little I knew about punk until I met my friend. I wouldn't have known who G.G. Allin is if it wasn't for him... I don't know how thankful I am that I know who G. G. is though. What a guy. :)

16. watt

ceej,

I don't know, gg allen seemed to have plenty of "output" (especially after mucho bran muffins and exlax before hitting [or should I say sh...] the stage).

on bass, watt