Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Roger Waters Fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rdnzl@comcast.n, Nov 9, 2005.

1. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    I'm a big PF fan, and I've always liked Roger Waters. I like the older stuff.......

2. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    All I know is that Pink Floyd ROCKED at Live 8. :bassist:

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I think Roger Waters is one of the best/better musicians (I stress that word) of his era. I wouldn't by any means consider him a 'great' bass player, although his playing is a big influence on me and I think he is one of the masters of the octave. But his way with words and musical vision are very very huge. I also enjoyed his very raspy high pitch voice on the songs he sang. "Hey You" is the one that comes to mind.

I am a huge Floyd fan and a big Waters fan. But again, I don't think Waters would've had a lot of his creative fuel or dynamic had it not been for Dave Gilmour (or in a lot of instances Syd Barrett). But I have always loved the Waters/Gilmour duo. I think when they were on together, they made their best work. Somewhat comparable to a Lennon/McCartney.

4. i wouldn't call him a great bass player, but he is one of the best songwriters in the last 50 years imo...

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Pink floyd with syd is far and away better than anything PF did with Glimour. Piper at the gates of dawn is their best album.

Roger Waters is good, and is a good songwriter, but hes a jerk. I'm pretty sure it was him who got PF broken up due to some disputes over the band name.

6. I'm a big fan, can't get enough of "In the Flesh" DVD. Fantastic songwriting, music with a meaning and great bass playing (extremely simple, but very efficient, IMHO). I'm also a big fan of David Gilmour, a superb musician, IMO.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It was Roger Waters that made me want to play bass. :cool:

8. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    Its amazing to see how weak the Pink Floyd albums got, after Roger left.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Weak or different? ;)

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I think Roger Waters is a genius and he's probably in my top 5 favorite writers of all time (right up there w/ Dylan & Lennon if you ask me). I dig the Barrett stuff too - waay too overlooked, his writing and guitar playing were very...umm...unique - great solo albums too. Didn't want to get into this but here's my 2 cents - Waters is a bit gloomy but Gilmour doesn't strike me as a super friendly guy either. Waters basically didn't want to do the 'Pink Floyd' thing anymore and left. The other guys carried on with the name (and the flying pigs, etc.) which pissed him off greatly. They put out a couple mediocre albums and that was that. How about the new opera - he's only been working on it for like 10 years haha, anybody heard it?

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

Comparing Syd Barret Pink Floyd to Gilmour Pink Floyd is imo comparing to different bands. Both were brilliant, all be it in a different way.

12. Roger Waters is a songwriting genius and a very decent bassist.

13. Watching Roger Waters put down the bassline to "Eclipse" on the "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii" video was neat. I like his style, even though it's not really anything too strange.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Very solid bassist, brilliant songwriter.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    If Waters is the guy who came up with and played the bass line in "Money", then yea, I'm a huge fan.

16. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City

The Opera is stunningly mediocre.

Like listening to opera singers badly sing the Final Cut (which I detest). But Waters fanboys I have lent it to love it.

I think Waters was a great composer, up to the Wall, but after that he became too wordy, and the loss of the little melodic sense that Gilmour provided turned his music into the tuneless exhortations of an upper class brit.

And his Bass Playing is mediocre at best, and if you hear some impressive playing on a studio release, it likely aint Roger.

17. anyone who doubts roger as a musician should shoot themselves.:scowl:
    Waters is a genius:he wrote practically every good Pink Floyd song in existance.

if in doubt,watch the live at pompeii dvd and come back to me:D

also,look out for his delicious '62 fender precision.mmm...vintage.

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think PF is great, but it was the whole band that made them great...not just Waters.

19. Slig

Slig

Jun 19, 2006
    DUDE PF ROCKS SO MUCH whats your favorite album?