1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Ron Blair (Tom Petty/Heartbreakers) fans here?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A Mirror Somewhere, Jul 6, 2014.

1. A Mirror Somewhere

A Mirror Somewhere

Jun 16, 2014
    I was always fond of early Heartbreakers, and even before I took on bass seriously, I very much admired Blair's playing. He may be the second bass player I really "noticed" outside of the more indomitable lines found in early alt-rock.

Really, he's the bass player I SHOULD sound like - melodic but well laid back, easily balancing a line that moves lightly with the music and heavy when it needs to be, versatile with a occasional funk riff or groove to keep things bouncing. And often used, beautiful, easy slides (I'm working on making my slides as graceful as his)

I always look back on his early work in retrospect but I've not always done my homework on him.

Anyone have any insights on Blair to help aspiring bassists along? : )

rickwebb and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  2. A Mirror Somewhere

A Mirror Somewhere

Jun 16, 2014
    My favorite bassline of Blair's and maybe my favorite Heartbreakers songs; for those not necessarily familiar with the Heartbreakers.

rickwebb likes this.
  3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I like Ron. Some great bass parts going through TP's music...

rickwebb likes this.
  4. Ephi82

Ephi82

Jan 30, 2010
    He doesnt get enough credit for his contributions to the "sound and groove" of the Heartbreakers.

rickwebb likes this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The love The Heartbreakers in general as well as Tom Petty. I like both Ron and Howie, they're two solid players that simply hold it down. I always enjoy playing their stuff.

hover and rickwebb like this.
  6. Billsals

Billsals Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2013
    detroit mi
    I met him once before he was back in the Heartbreakers when he was playing with the Dirty Knobs with Mike Campbell. It was a small club and he was just hanging out afterwards so I approached him and was pleased to find out what a cool down to earth humble guy he is. He was genuinely happy to talk bass and was like a kid showing off his guild starfire to me. Great guy and a great player!

JMacBass65, rickwebb and LedReign like this.
  7. Ephi82

Ephi82

Jan 30, 2010
    Its so cool to see a player you admire who is friendly and approachable. I'd love to meet Ron, be great to Jam with him.

I met Gary Talent (E Street Band) in a very small club just outside of Boston. He had produced and was gigging with a great Nashville band (name I cant remember right now) that was trying to break out. Unfortunately, it didnt happen for them (such is the life of so many great artists!)

Anycase, I think I was one of only a couple of people who knew who Gary was in this club, and we sat and had a beer. He is a GREAT musician, always playing for the song, and I asked him how he approached creating what he played for Bruce.

He basically said that he developed a "sense" for where his lines supported the song to be the best it could be.

This of course was an interesting process considering Bruce's writing ability and his EGO!

Big laughs and a toast ensued. Great memory. This guy can really play

rickwebb likes this.
  8. LedReign

LedReign

Feb 17, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    HELL YA! Ron can hold a groove like no other bass player. im seeing them twice this tour. id say the heartbreakers are one of the greatest bands of all time

JMacBass65 and rickwebb like this.
  9. HUGE Ron Blair fan here. Great tones, great feel...

JMacBass65 and hover like this.
  10. bahia0019

bahia0019

Jun 19, 2012
    Just listened to the new album. The first half is pretty heavy for TP&H. Lots of really heavy guitar and grooves. I'll be listening a few more times for sure.
    Too bad I missed them the other night here in San Diego. But they will be in LA at the end of the tour, so I may have a second chance to see them.

11. I'm in a Petty tribute, and in the three years I've been with them I've grown to appreciate Ron Blair's talent and tasteful bass lines. I started out as a fairly busy player, but nowadays I try to be like Ron and serve the song. Funny thing, but I think we sound a lot more like the Heartbreakers now that I've patterned my playing after Ron Blair. I'm going to have to get a Jazz, however, if I want to really sound like him!

12. A favorite Blair bassline of mine is "Rockin' Around (With You)", followed closely by "Here Comes My Girl" (you have to listen closely with that one to truly appreciate it)

JMacBass65 likes this.
  13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Big fan here. Dude can play no wrong.

JMacBass65 likes this.