Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Roscoe LG 3005 owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., May 26, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am starting to look for another bass, and am really interested in a couple of Roscoe's that Bass NW has on their site.

Does anyone own one of these or have any playing time on one? It is pretty tough for me to be able to try one out, so any and all information that you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. Ryan,

I've had the chance to play several Roscoes. In my experience, they are well designed and great sounding instruments. I've not played one that was set-up poorly or had knobs that were loose or found any cosmetic issues that would indicate poor workmanship.

I do think the bodies made from Spanish Cedar are better than the older designs.

I think Bass NW has a return policy. They also will ensure the bass is set-up to your specs. I think it's certainly worth try.

Jeff

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ryan -

Having the privilige to work at BNW's east-coast competitor, Bass Central, I've had the good fortune to play several Roscoe LG-3005's, and been very impressed by each of them. If the used one at our shop right now were a fretless instead of a fretted, I'd own it already :). We did have a fretless, but soemone snagged it before I was able to afford it :(.

If you're interested in seeing what we have, (such as the used one that is in incredibly good condition, looks new to me) and what they're selling for, you can either call us (800-545-8813) or e-mail us (bc@basscentral.com). I really can't give out prices here, but I will say that the used one I mentioned above is a spectacular deal and a wonderful bass, burl walnut over spanish cedar with a transparent brown finish, the "smaller" neck with a rosewood fingerboard. We also have two brand new ones in stock, a transparent blue quilted maple with the spalted purple heart fingerboard, and a cordovan (trans purple-ish) also with a spalted purple heart fingerboard. Obviously, they're going to be a bit more expensive than the used one, but we'll make you a great deal on those as well if you're interested.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks guys.

How is the neck shape on them? Are they more "D" shaped like a Warwick, or thinner front to back, like on a Cirrus?

Gard, I will defiinitely be checking with you guys in the near future. I just went and looked at your sight and saw two used ones there.

I think maybe used might be the way to go for me, as it looks like I can save A LOT of money over buying one brand new.

Thanks again
    Ryan

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey Ryan,

I have a 3007 and it's the best sounding bass I own. The 18v preamp with Barts just can't be beat. The low B on the 35" scale is easily the strongest of any I've heard. Don't see how you could go wrong with a Roscoe.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Whoops!!! He who hesitates is lost...er...or something like that... ;)

I sold the last of our used Roscoe LG-3005's today! Sorry about that Ryan :(. Gotta strike while the iron is hot with used stuff!!! We still have two new ones on the wall, and you never know when a used will pop up. If you want, I'll drop you a PM if another used one shows up. Great basses though, good luck finding one!

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, Gard, that would be great if you would let me know when you get another one in. I guess I wasn't quite ready to buy one just yet anyway, so sometime in the near future would probably be better for me, anyway.

Thanks
    Ryan

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey RL, check your PM inbox, eh? :D

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    RL, I have been out of pocket, but I'll still provide my "go for it" pitch. My search for the one ended when I bought my LG 3005. The punchiest bass I have ever played, with all the tone options I need. Mine is a burl myrtle body with spalted purpleheart neck and 18v. electrics with an ivory nut.

Ironically, it is not my primary gig bass, that honor goes to my SKB 3005. The SKB has a burl maple top on spanish cedar with spalted board and only 9v. It is not as punchy, with less dramatic tones than the LG, but it works better with effects. Since we do 60's and up rock covers I use the occasional effect, and it is about 1/2 lb. lighter as well, so it sees more use.

My Lakland dlx 55 doesn't see much use now, my Pedulla none. I had clearance to buy a Sadowsky, but got a second Roscoe instead. Nothing against Sadowskys, but my '66 Jazz pretty well covers that vibe (should I ever want to play a 4 again).

I've never played a Roscoe I didn't like, but have played a few I liked better than others. Luckily, both the ones I bought were internet buys and are keepers. Good luck, and don't be afraid to have a dealer get one custom made for you if you want a specific wood and option package, the price might surprise you if you shop around.

11. I don't own a 3005 but will soon have my 3000 this week.Yeaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! However,Alpha Music might still have a burl myrtle,Spanish cedar 30005 in stock.I know I've mentioned this on other threads,but I'll gladly say it again,this fiver is da bomb.I've played quite a few 5 strings(at least the ones that are available in my area) and this puppy won hands down.If I had more cash I'd snag this one too.