Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Roscoe owners out there ? What do you like or dont like about them ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Feb 5, 2003.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I got to play a real nice 5-string Roscoe with the Myrtle burl top/maple neck with a purple heart finger board.The B string timbral was HUGHE AND TIGHT and the playability was awesome.I am really considering purchasing this bass.:oops: Even playing it unplugged it sounded good but when I got to plug it into a SWR Sm 500 head & Goliath 4x10 the tone was fat as all out doors.Man I was loving it.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    As my Signature might suggest, I own and play a Roscoe LG3005 5-String Bass. Mine has an Exhibition grade quilted Maple top (reminds me of a PRS 10-top), Ebony fingerboard, Estate Ivory Nut, maple neck with Purple Heart strip, Swamp Ash Body, Bartolini pickups, Aguilar OBP-1 2-way active preamp, hipshot bridge and Hipshot tuners, and embedded/recessed Dunlop strap-locks in the lower bout and upper horn.

This bass is simply the epitome of perfection. Mine was actually ordered and spec'd by Kim Stone of "The Rippingtons." But Kim started endorsing Fender basses so he never picked this one up. His loss was my gain, not to mention bragging rights! I’ve admirde Kim's playing for years and years. He is one of my long time bass hero's.

This Roscoe LG3005 sports a thunderous low end to be revered. It is reminiscent of the depth you hear from a great P-bass. But it delivers with equal amounts of sparkling clarity on the top end with a tight focused mid range growl. This one is "keeper!" I might also add that the bass is very well balanced. I have not experienced any shoulder fatigue after playing night after.

I just bought a Bergantino 322 cabinet from John at Bass Alone in San Diego to compliment the Roscoe. John was great by the way. He gave me exceptional service in every way and went over and above the call of duty. My brother lives in San Diego and is coming to visit me this weekend. So John agreed to drop off the Bergie 322 cabinet at my brother's office as a courtesy. My brother is going to deliver it to me in Arizona this Saturday! No stinking UPS guys throwing this jewel around. Just tender loving care. But I digress. I LOVE the Roscoe. The B-String is truly as legendary as they say. It is so tight, focused and musical and the neck plays like butter. The action is exceptional and the bass stays in tune all night long! It's like a rock.

A friend of mine told me; If you get one Roscoe, you'll probably wind up with more. I would have to say I'm seriously thinking about a Roscoe 6 string, or maybe a fretless. Roscoes are among the nicest basses on the market. I should also mentioned I've contacted Keith Roscoe more than once and he is always incredibly responsive, friendly, kind and helpful. First Class Service all the way! Thanks Keith!

Gary

3. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Yo Gary,

Nice Roscoe you have there :p

I too have been a big fan of Roscoe basses after hearing all the rave about the tone and playability of this bass. My only experience was a short one on a friend's SKB3005 fretless. It was awesome.

But I was just wondering all you Roscoe users out there do you prefer the SKB bigger body or the LG sleek and slimer body. I had a hard time deciding on this.

I like the sleekness and coolness of the the LG body but I am afraid it does not have enough mass and body to give a better tone than the SKB. But than again I had heard wonderful tone out of the LG too. Also the LG small body may not give a good balance when strapped up playing whereas I think the SKB offers a better balance. What are your takes?

And one more thing Gary, you have barts pickups but not barts preamp so is the tone of your Roscoe close to the famed recipe tone of the Roscoe? How's the Aggie preamp? Do you actually prefer that to the barts preamp?

Cheers
    Jay.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've got an LG3000 that I think is wonderful. Barts with a Bart NTBT pre. The ONLY thing I wish different about it was that I wish it was a 5 string, only because I have heard SOOOO many wonderful things about that Roscoe B! The top on mine is absolutely gorgeous, IMO, and I love the Pao Ferro fingerboard. All in all, I'm 100% happy with mine. I can't go into details, because I haven't spent ALOT of time with it. I just got it as a Christmas gift.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Although I don't have my Roscoe anymore, I think they're awsome and would own one again. Like Adrian said, the B's are the best in the biz. It had thunderous lows and bright highs. The playability was great as well. There were some dislikes. The bass in general sounded overly compressed. It probobly had a lot to do with the wood combo and the lacquer finish. I also was not crazy about the mid sound. It had strong low mids. Almost too strong. The upper mids really lacked on this one. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the SKB body in hoping that it would give more of a woody sound. I would also go with the Spanish Cedar as Adrian recommended to give it a mellower/woody sound. That's my two cents.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm sure a Roscoe thread search would yield a lot of information. I have been a charter member of Club Roscoe and will always have one in my arsenal. I've had 3 and am down to one. IMO, they are as close to perfect as any bass I've ever played. I've decided perfect doesn't exist, although I continue to seek it.

The positive's are all well documented. The negatives? Initially, there were some finish issues which I believe are non-issues now. About the only thing I can think of is the lighter Roscoes can be a little neck heavy. Although it was an SKB, mine was lighter than either of my LGs (all 3005s), it had neck dive the LGs didn't exhibit, maybe becuz the body was lighter (Spanish Cedar) and that threw the balance off a little. And I'm only talking slight neck dive here, but that's the only negative I can come up with, I never had a complaint regarding Roscoe tone.

Why did I sell 2 then? I am now a fretless player and was trying to trade one for a fretless SKB 3005, but ended up with an Elrick (the beauty in my avatar) instead. I tried again later and was offered a fretless MTD 535 I couldn't refuse. Then a real nice fretless Fbass hit the market....

Fretless SKB 3005s must be fairly rare, you don't see them offered up very often. Someday I hope to own one. The bottom line is I HIGHLY recommend Keith Roscoe's works of art.

8. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I own 2 Roscoes'. I've had my SKB3006 Fretless for 2+ years and my SKB3006 Fretted for just over one year. As for performance, I think all the guys that have posted before me have hit all the points right on the head. One thing I'd like to add is I feel Keith offers the best instrument for money. If you look for the quality and performance you get with his basses you will have to move up into the next price level and start looking at F's, MTD's, etc. I guess what I'm saying is , IMHO, Roscoe gives you the best bang for your buck.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own two sixes and a seven. Very full sounding on the low end and low mids. Good playability. They can be heavy, however, and the slap tone is not my favorite as they don't have the top end "snap" I like. My fretless has a diamondwood board, the other six has a rosewood board and the seven is ebony. Obviously, rosewood and ebony won't sound like maple. But they're really not particularly bright or cutting sounding basses, in general. Low end lovers will...uh...love 'em, tho!

10. Just got my first Roscoe (LG3005). It's actually quite different from most that I see. first of all it was built about '94 and has a flat top, not like the sculpted ones he does now. also it has active EMG pickups and passive controls (vol-blend-tone). I really love it. It has a swamp ash body with burl maple top. Looks wise I prefer the spalted purlpleheart to the rosewood on mine, but playability and sound are extreme. I can't wait to jam again.

11. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Very full sounding on the low end and low mids. Good playability. They can be heavy, however, and the slap tone is not my favorite as they don't have the top end "snap" I like. My fretless has a diamondwood board, the other six has a rosewood board and the seven is ebony. Obviously, rosewood and ebony won't sound like maple. But they're really not particularly bright or cutting sounding basses, in general. Low end lovers will...uh...love 'em, tho!
    ------------------------------------------------
    In my case, I have to disagree. It could be related to the wood used on my Roscoe LG3005 and also the fact that I have the Aguilar two-band OBP-1 Preamp as opposed to the Bartolini 3-band Preamp that is typical factory equipment on most Roscoes that I have seen. My Roscoe bass has a Swamp Ash Body, Exhibition grade Quilted Maple Top and Ebony fretboard. My Roscoe LG3005 has an exceptional slap sound and is equally well suited for fingerstyle. Very bright and clear. I can dial in incedible amounts of high-end tone without it ever becoming brittle. Again, The aguilar preamp probably has a lot to do with this. It's a nice balance for the bartolini Pickups that are reknowned as being 'warm.' This particular LG3005 is simply stunning for Slap style playing as well as maintaining a very deep, round, and authoritative, almost P-bass sounding Low end. Low end bottom feeders will Love this bass, but so will slap players. Especially with its "plays-like-butter" action. I will also add that My Roscoe LG3005 balances on my shoulder wondefully. I would never acuse this bass of being neck heavy. This is just my experience. SKB's or different woods may yeild entirely different results. It can all vary from bass to bass depending upon wood, body style etc.

I also agree that Roscoe basses offer an exceptional value and expert quality for the money. I would have to spend almost twice the amount to get an equivalent Fodera or MTD from what I've seen. That is not meant as a slam on those fine basses, but rather a financial consideration only. I would love to own any of those as well. Collect the whole Set I say!

Gary

12. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    My fretted SKB3006 has a body and top of Myrtle Burl. A bit heavier than the fretless which is a Spanish Cedar body and Redwood Burl top. The fretted is average weight for a 6 and the fretless is light for a 6. The LG's are smaller bodies, thus lighter even still. I prefer the way the SKB form fits for playing comfort. As for slap tone; I really enjoy the way it sounds when I am straight out funk slapping. The highlight, for me, is the clarity when chordal and multiple finger slapping (a'la Caron) is called for. Slapping down low around in and around Dm simply shakes the house down! :eek: :D

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have to agree with Roscoe5. I had discussions with Keith Roscoe when I was considering having a custom made, and he asked about my playing style to determine the appropriate pre-amp. When I told him fingerstyle rock, he recommended the 3-band Bart as he felt the 2-band Aguilar was more appropriate for slap.

For MY style, and MY needs, I still consider Roscoe's the ultimate in tone, playability, and versatility, at ANY cost. The fact they are affordable is icing on the cake.

My oft-missed burl myrtle body, burl mytle topped LG 3005 (now in Texas), is still the best sounding bass I have ever had the pleasure to play (I hope you're taking care of her Cameron, if you ever get tired of it....).

14. Hey guys,
    I bought an SKB3005 fretless from Adrian this summer. I love it! It's responsive, great B, and it is easy to be expressive on. I constantly get compliments on the looks and sound of it. Adrian is great to work through too!

Regarding Halftooth's comments on the EQ, I would overcome those "limitations" by ordering the 18-volt Bartolini upgrade preamp package. The push/pull mid switch allows you to boost and cut at 2 different frequencies. You can pretty much get any tone you want from this preamp. I could see where having the stock Bart or Aguilar pre would limit you on possible tones. The "compressed" or scooped sound can be overcome by the right pre.

Yeah, mine's heavy too. Mine has a cocobolo top, spanish Cedar body, and the diamondwood fingerboard. Keith warned me it would be heavy, but man once I start playing, that's suddenly not that important.

Hope that helps. Here's a pic!

15. I don't own a Roscoe but to everyone on this thread I just have to say

- NICE BASSES - :D :D

16. I don't own a Roscoe...yet... I played a 4-string with the Burl Myrtle top, Spalted Purpleheart fingerboard, and 3-band 18v Bart preamp, and it was sweet!:cool: One of these days I'll own a Roscoe.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've played a few, and never dug them to be honest. while i felt they played and looked incredible, i tend to agree with boogiebass about the tone - not particularly cutting and a bit too warm/fat for me. i thought the tone it had was darn good - just not for me. but i feel that way about 90% of bartolini equipped basses so....

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I would have to agree with the general assesment that the roscoes are low end monsters and that they have the most oustanding B i've ever played.

My 6 string(SKB) tends to have a little bit of neck dive if i move around too much while im playing.

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is the way that the bass sits in a mix. I for one LOVE the way my roscoe sits in my band's mix. The low end is huge and powerful, while the high end sits on par with the guitars and keyboard instead of overpowering them like some other basses i have played.

I think that a roscoe will do just about anything you need if you git it the right rig. With Ebs gear i played through it sounded perfect for progressive rock and jazz scenarios(which is what do) on the other hand, i played through eden and ampeg gear and it's character changed to that of a rock BEAST! ....so yea... i love everything about my roscoe:D (I'm also thinking about getting a matching fretless)

19. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    My incredibly special Roscoe LG3005 fretted 5 string bass is sadly (for me) for sale (happy for you! See attachment). This particular Roscoe LG3005 (Born May of 2002) was ordered, spec'd and built specifically for Kim Stone of "The Rippingtons." It has a Swamp Ash body, Exhibition grade Quilted Maple top that is a real head turner, Maple neck with Purple Heart center strip, Ebony fret board, Estate Ivory Nut, Bartolini Soapbar Pickups, Aguilar 2-way OBP-1 18V Preamp, Embedded Dunlop Strap locks (done by Keith Roscoe at his shop) Roscoe Custom case. The tone is simply incredible and extremely versatile. This bass has legendary Roscoe Low B string performance. I simply can't afford to keep this most exceptional bass so I must let it go. Hopefully it will go to someone who will appreciate just how special this bass is. Keith Roscoe will personally verify the authenticity and the story behind this bass. I have spoken with him a few times. If interested, please drop me an email for more information and more Pics.

If this is not an appropriate forum to mention basses for sale, please accept my apologies. I couldn't find a classified forum on TB.

20. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Sorry to hear that Roscoe5! Does that mean you'll have to change your handle? :(

I may as well jump in with my praises for the Roscoe. I have two, an LG fiver and an SKB fretless fiver. I love them both a very whole lotta. I echo the positive sentiments already expressed by the others. The TONE! And it sits in a mix great.

I can't say much about the slap sound, because I don't do much slapping. The little I might do sounds pretty good to me though. I sure ain't no expert with the slapping. I just fake it.

The one negative I can say is that I do experience some neck dive with the fretted LG. Doesn't bother me too much, but I do notice. Probably just due to the small body.