Any Roscoe players/collectors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, May 19, 2001.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Keith has come up with pretty strange (or cool?) basses lately, like this one, the marble one, the steel and copper one, etc.

I briefly had an LG-3005 (traded it for my Lakland)...nice bass.
  3. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    He must have smoke something else than cigars to come up with an idea like that...
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been meaning to ask about these things for awhile now and keep forgetting. Any owners that can give me an idea of how they sound, neck shape, etc.?? I have been looking at Bass NW's site at a few fives that they have there, and am starting to get pretty interested in one. But, I am a long ways away from anyone that sells them, so playing one would be next to impossible for me. Any comments would be appreciated.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey RL311, I'll be down there for an extended period on monday/tuesday...want me to check out any one in particular for you? I'd love to play another fretted one anyway...I love my fretless.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That would be great, Angus.
    Actually, there are two that I have been looking into. Both are 3005's--one is Cocobolo and the other is Amber Stain Quilted Maple. If you happen to have the time, could you check em both out??

I would really appreciate it. You can p.m. me or email me and let me know what you think of them.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No problem! I'll PM you as soon as I get back!
  8. Hey RL311,I don't have mine yet(should be in Monday 22nd)but I have played a few of them at Alpha Music (in Virginia Beach,VA).I tried out a SKB 7-string and a LG 3005.The 7 was too massive for my hands,even though people tell me how huge my hands are, they weren't adequate for that particular bass.In spite of that,the 7's sound was round,warm,punchy and full.We tried it through different rigs and it had a consistent sound.(it's been played through SWRs,Edens and a Bergantino/Aguilar setup).
    The LG 3005 was much easier to handle.The B string was awesome.It had a tight focused punchy tone.Quite clear and articulate.The string spacing was also comfortable.Roscoe necks are very smooth and they too are very comfortable.This LG had a burled mrytle top over a Spanish Cedar body and a spalted purple heart fretboard.The pick ups were Bartolinis(passive) and a three band 18-volt eq.(I'm not sure what brand it was.)It too had a warm, punchy, full sound.If you are thinking of getting one,I don't blame you,they are definitely worth it!!!
  9. I have a Roscoe SKB-3006 with an exibition quality quilted maple top, spanish cedar back, spalted purple heart fingerboard, estate ivory nut and 3 band EQ. The top is about the best I have ever seen. I bought it down at Bass NW. I tried out about 15 5 and 6 string basses and like this one the most. The tone is big, round and has a bit of an organic woody vibe to it. I would seriously consider Keiths basses if you are looking at something in this price range. There are some good deals to be had at on Roscoe's right now. The only problem I have had with this bass and Bass NW was that there was some noise coming out of the bass when the bass was blended to the bridge pickup when I was auditioning it. The salesperson told me it was just the neon light a couple feet away from me and that the bass is dead quiet. After buying the bass and taking it home, the noise was loud as ever. The treble contol was essentially useless on my rig because of how much noise it added. They told me I should lower the bridge pickup, though this has nothing to do with RF noise. They wouldn't fix it for me so I had to spend $100 getting the bass reshielded over at Mike Lulls. Maybe I should have sent it back to Keith Roscoe, but I am happy with how it turned out. Anyway, it is a killer looking and sounding bass. I should post some pictures.