Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any RX-7 Fans out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Jun 30, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I just bought an 87 RX-7 from a friend, for $1500... It has less than 100k miles on it, & runs like its still new...

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

ah yes , my first " new " car back in the 90's . beautiful golden color , am/fm stereo , new car smell , rotary engine , all that nice stuff ...
    too bad i wrecked it , 65 miles an hour , head-on into a telephone pole ... :bawl:
    i was ok ,{ totaled the car } , thank God i was wearing seatbelts ... i guess i learned something from the experience .

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a '84 GSL-SE. Fuel injected 13b motor, the bigger engine if I got the numbers wriong

Had to dump it in 1998 after 2 engines, and 227k miles.
    The unibody was developing serious rust in the rear wheel wells.

I just loved that car, and it drove like a dream. I would have bought another motor if it were not for the rust.

Awesome machine....

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't mind picking up one. I was looking at some of the last year rx7s on ebay the other day, but I don't know much about the rotary engine.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well,

I was hoping to find someone that knew about tweaking them... As far as the car itself, the only PROBLEM it has is... its shifter needs some work... It's got alot of slop, but you can get it where it needs to be...

It is in pretty good shape. No rust, or anything. Regarding the rotary engine, whats to know. Its simplest engine ever designed. There's like only 3 moving parts... AND, they're powerful for thier displacement.

Mine has a 13B as well, which is a 1.3 liter engine. Stock, it puts out 146hp, back in 1987.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    there are a few rx7 forums you can check out, do a google search. Let us know how it turns out.

7. ahhh....I suppose Im a fan. never had one though. you bastard. oh well. I got myself a little mustang so im happy to be owning one of the most mass produced cars in America

Enjoy the car damnit

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Today for lunch, went to WG Grinders, & parked next to a 2004 Mustang Cobra, complete w/ blower, & Purple/Green/Blue metallica fade paint job, right from the factory... It was SCHAAAAweeet!!

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd love to pick up a nice black 3rd gen (93-95 model years), but I wouldn't have one for a daily driver. What reliability turbo 13B rotaries had went out the door when Ford bought them and started trying to cheap out on everything.

Love driving them, though. Think hard about what you wanna do and the car pretty much does it. It's probably the best stock suspension I've ever felt.

10. i've never had the opportunity to drive an RX-7. nor an RX-8. i'm pretty happy with the miata. it was pretty responsive to begin with, but with 16" 225R45 tires, it's the same "think it and you're there" response. i love it.

i would love to drive an RX-8, but my dream project car is a ford festiva. drop in a B6T engine, and a few other mods (total, with car, $2500), and you have a serious performance machine.

robb.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, the handling is the same w/ mine, as everyone has described... It's a very neutral handling car... on/off ramps @ 70+ & not even realizing it... Next thing you know, you're jamming on the brakes to keep from ramming someone...

BTW, thought I'd mention in response to something I cherry-picked from earlier up... This is NOT my first new car.

That would've been a new '86 Black Mustang GT, w/ charcoal cloth interior.

This RX-7 was orignally purchased to be a low-cost butt-hauler, with potential for being a fun, fixer upper...

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    My cousin has an RX-7, and he blew the rotary, and he's putting a 350 V8 in it...

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I used to play a little game with tailgaters on a certain off
    ramp in the area which sweeps of to the right and heads
    down then tightens radius just a little at the end.

Some moron in his SUV would be right on you 4$$ and
    we would head down the ramp, with me slightly increasing speed on the way through. At the point of the radius change I would goose is thru the turn by hitting the throttle
    lifting the front end a bit.

SUV morn behind me often went into panic mode behind
    me as he/she realized the big pig was not really doing too
    well in the turn. Some jammed on the brakes, while
    others wrestled.

I would then slow down a bit to enjoy the facial expressions
    in the mirror.

I am not kind to unfocused tailgaters who can't drive.

A guy in my town did this, it was a very powerfull car, but the hood needed to be modified to close, and, of course,
    the weight distribution in the front of the car is different,
    changing the handling a bit.

14. is that a poem?

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    There are cradle/engine mount kits available on the aftermarket that take care of that. They make changing the clutch an adventure in whole new dimensions of frustration, but it's worth it because the car's weight distribution is pretty much unchanged by the swap using these cradles.

16. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    congrats, FC rx7's are nice cars.

www.rx7club.com should be your new home. I recommend allot of reading there. Theres a LOT more to a rotary engine in maintenance then regular piston engines. :)