1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any s101 owners? Just got one for $40!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neilshane, Sep 15, 2008.

1. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    I just picked up a used s101 jazz bass off Craigslist for $40! It's made in China- red with a rosewood board and seems pretty solid.

There's not much on the Web, but I did find the company's site- http://www.sejungusa.com/PagesGuitars/s101_main/05_gtrs/JFJ2_05.html

Anyone else have one of these? I've owned two SX instruments that I've gotten rid of- a fretless jazz and a telecaster. I got two lemons. But this thing seems pretty nice- more on par with an MIM Fender. Thoughts?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice find! for $40, you could hang it on your wall and turn the damn thing into a clock if you wanted to!

3. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Exactly! You can hardly get a pickguard for $40! I'm couldn't be happier! I just hope it sounds ok. Haven't plugged it in yet.

4. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I had an S101 Telecaster guitar for awhile and though I'm sure it was made of plywood or MDF or particle board or something, it did the job just fine. In fact, I recorded with it quite a bit.

Congrats!

5. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    that is one UGLY sunburst on that link. i've seen a few S101s down at main drag music in brooklyn (one of my favorite stores in the city if you can ever find time to go there) and i haven't had the time to plug one in but they look fine, like decent cheap starter guitars. they're normally about $150, so you got a steal.

6. neilshane

neilshane

Sep 21, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well, here are some pics. I need to change the strings and replace the nut. I'm also going to add a tort pickguard, American jazz knobs and a pickup cover.

It still has the rusty/crap strings it had on it when I got it and it still sounds really good. I must say, for $40, I'm thrilled. Can't beat it!