Any Samiam Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Feb 18, 2009.

1. I remember being a huge fan of Samiam. I used to listen to Soar and Billy over and over. Then they went on a major label and I stopped listening to the out of protest, but when I grew up and realized that it's OK to listen to major label stuff I got back into them. Their major label stuff actually sounds a lot better mixed than their indy stuff.

Any other fans out there? Let's reminisce shall we? What's your favorie songs/CD's?

2. Wow, no one?

3. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I've only ever listened to a handful of their songs but I've got to say "Clean" is simply amazing.

4. I need to check them out, because I apparently I'd like them if I like the Doughboys (who I LOVE).

5. hwmzel

hwmzel

Feb 17, 2009
    Astray is one of my top albums for sure.

6. God, I haven't listened to these guys in a couple of years. I remember loving Astray, their post-major release before they broke up. It was a great album, probably still is, I'll need to find it again. I've always had a soft-spot for the early-mid 90's popish punk, I loved Snuff and Leatherface and the like; but, like Samiam, I haven't listened to them in a while.

7. Yeah, I'm like you. I used to listen to all that early 90's Bay Area punk like old Green Day, Fifteen, Cringer, All, etc., but then kind of grew out of it as I got older. Then one day I ran across some of my old 7" records and now I'm listening to it again. Man, to listen to old Jaw Breaker and listen to the junk out there now, I'm starting to hate modern music. Back then punk meant something. Now it's just another genre.

8. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    Misread the title at first, thought it said "Any Samhain fans out there?" and I charged in all excited. I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't realize anybody else knew these guys ever existed, although I was never a huge fan. Early on my band covered "Capsized". Everyone thought it was an original.

Well, everyone still thinks most of our covers are originals... :meh:

At any rate, great band, super energetic, great lyrics; I just stopped listening to them the deeper I got into Fugazi. Time to bust 'em back out.

9. Just ran across this thread. I played bass in Samiam from '93-'97. Good times. They are still playing -- just saw that they have a couple shows booked in San Francisco and one in Australia.

10. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    I must say, you finding this thread and posting is one if the coolest things about Talkbass.

So you played on Clumsy and You Are Freaking Me Out? Two great albums, very well produced.

What are your current projects?

11. Yeah, I played on those two albums. At the time, many folks thought they were not punk rock enough, but in retrospect they hold up pretty well. At least compared to what passes for punk rock these days!

Anyway, my main project currently is this band: www.thefamilyarsenal.com. No big ambitions, just playing around town, etc. My "serious" band days are behind me at this point.

12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Best album is You're freaking me out.
    Good punk.

13. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008

Holy Tom Petty, Batman! I like that the bio points that out right away. I must say, that's not the band I would expect to find ex-members of Samiam and The Mr. T Experience in :D Still, that must be a fun outfit to play with.

I have a hard time understanding criticism against those two records; to me, they sound just as hard as other pop-punk from the time.

I gotta ask, you have any cool stories from your time in Samiam?

14. Yeah, the Petty influence is definitely there. Not very punk rock, I realize, but I guess that what happens when you get old . . . Plus, although the bio refers to "former members" of Samiam and MTX, it is actually the same member -- me -- that was in both of those bands. The other three dudes don't have the punk rock background, they come from a more straight rock n' roll background, so that's what the band ends up sounding like.

And, yeah, I have a ton of crazy stories from the punk rock days, but they are mostly not fit for a family website . . . ;-)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021